vacuum leak

1992 Plymouth - There's a vacuum leak in my brake pedal, which I can hear when I push hard on it. Is it likely to be just a gasket or hose, or something expensive? The car is old so I might junk it, but I want to get an idea of how much this should cost.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

If you hear the leak when you HOLD the pedal down then it is the vacuum booster. However if you only hear a whoosh sound when you step down on the pedal fast then that is just the air inlet and isn't a problem.

Depending on model/engine the boosters can run from 20 - 200 bucks. Labor all depends on the same.

Reply to
Steve W.

could also be a bad check valve on the booster, or a leaky hose.

Reply to
m6onz5a

leaky hose would hiss all the time, wouldn't it?

My money is on booster or check valve.

nate

Reply to
N8N