problems with the alternator charging

Here is the problem we are experiencing with Wayne's

88 Jeep Commanche 6 cyl 4WD that has over 300,000 miles on it.

We recently had the entire clutch assembly replaced. Afterwards we started to experience problems with the alternator not charging the battery. We have a brand new battery, the old alternator tests out okay and they are saying it is a ground wire problem but they can't seem to find it. Do you think the voltage regulator could be the problem? Or do we need to try another alternator?

Any ideas, thoughts, advice on how to fix this so the alternator will charge?????

We would appreciate anything that you could do! We have already put over $2000 in this truck in the last few months and hate to just let it sit. Help?

Rebekah and Wayne Malatt

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
savedforever

I would be checking the ground strap that runs from the back of the engine up to the firewall for rot or a bad connection first.

Do you have a multimeter? Even a cheap one will work to test for a bad ground.

You start with a voltage reading between the battery 'posts' with the engine running and the headlights on. For this you leave the positive meter probe on the post. Then you go from the positive post to the alternator case with the negative meter probe. The voltage must be 'exactly' the same. If the voltage is different, you have a bad ground and you can 'walk' the meter to find it.

To check this you move the negative meter probe to the negative cable clamp and check the voltage. If it is lower than between the two posts, the battery terminal and clamp need cleaning. Then you take the - probe to the engine block and check the voltage, then to the alternator bracket, then to the alternator. (alternator brackets are a sneaky place for a bad ground)

Then you take the meter negative probe and put it on a bolt on the body or on the bolt the mesh ground bolts to on the firewall and see.

Where ever you find a voltage drop, you have found a bad connection.

You can walk the meter the other way to see if the positive connections are good. You go from the post to the clam, then to the solenoid or relay cable loop, then the solenoid bolt. If you find a difference say between the cable loop end and the solenoid bolt, that connection is dirty.

Hope this helps,

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Here is the problem we are experiencing with Wayne's
Reply to
Mike Romain

Good for him!

Ground problems are _very_ common in Jeep vehicles, and the replacement parts are cheap. Start there.

This might help, open this link:

In the second illustration (viewed as if standing in front of the grill) look for the point highlighted with the large yellow dot and the label "Dash Panel & Engine Ground Strap". On your Commanche there should be a bolt with a star-tooth washer and a ring terminal at the end of either a black wire or a flat braided metal strap. This is the body ground strap.

Then look at the third illustration (this view is as though you are standing with you chin next to the antenna mount on the right front fender). Again a yellow dot, this is where the other end of the ground strap should connect.

/With the key off/ remove the nut or bolt (probably metric), clean all the contact points, and reassemble. Alternately (or if either end is broken/missing or you just like belt-and-suspenders) you can get a braided metal replacement strap in the "Help!" aisle of your local parts retailer chain store. It doesn't need to be insulated, just get a long one that will reach.

-- "We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey, that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated." Orson Wells on the reaction to the _War Of The Worlds_ broadcast.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Don't forget that these ground straps often rot from the inside. It may 'look' good so be sure to roll the mesh to see if it disintegrates.

While you are in there it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean and grease any ground you find. Remember that battery cables have at least two ends.

Reply to
billy ray

thanks! We will give your suggestions a try! We really appreciate it! Rebekah

Reply to
savedforever

Thanks! you guys are awesome!

Reply to
savedforever

Last problem I had with that came in two parts. First, the fuse link blew when the alternator grenaded. Since I was on the road with a long hike to the parts store and tired after walking all that way to get an alternator (central Kansas in July has a way of making me tired) I used a crimp union to connect the blown pieces. About the time I got home, the fuse link blew again right up by the connector on the distribution center relay. That was a real bi##h to get off as it was corroded some and the nut on the bottom of the post was so thin I couldn't get a wrench on it to hold the post while muscling the top nut off to change the link. After grinding an old wrench down until it fit, I finally got the thing apart and found the whole connection stack had surface corrosion on all the parts and showed signs of getting real hot. Cleaned all the contacts with sandpaper, installed the fuse link and everything has worked since.

Your regulator is > Here is the problem we are experiencing with Wayne's

Reply to
Will Honea

Thank you, thank you, thank you for everyone's help!!! I really appreciate it! Here is a wish that everyone is safe, warm and dry. It is icy cold with snow, sleet, and freezing rain here in the hills of WV for the past two days so I am so ready for summer. Thanks again guys! You all are the greatest! Rebekah

Reply to
savedforever

Did you get it fixed? Do let us know how you make out and what the problem was.

Weather report: Eastern CT got 3" of sleet. It was like shovel> Thank you, thank you, thank you for everyone's help!!! I really