rebuilding a carb this weekend

greetings,

have a edelbrock 1400 series on a 350 on my cj that needs rebuilding. got the kit and wondered if there was anything i should know before diving in this weekend. looks pretty straight forward from the pieces i'm seeing. also are there any good links on how to tune the thing after i (hopefully) get it back together?

thanks

Reply to
rottyguy70

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

well, got the carb rebuilt. not too bad, almost lost a few pieces when it blew off the table :-/

had a few questions:

1) the carb had a bunch of carbon pebbles.. what's the cause and remedy to this?

2) what's the optimum temp for a small block 350? i've got a good cooling system so can pretty much nail the sensor spot on.

3) engine is idling loppy if that makes any sense. almost sounds like a misfire at low speed (say 25 and under). once you step on the gas, it seems normal. any thoughts?

thanks.

Reply to
rottyguy70

That happens when you run out of gas sometimes. The high vacuum involved trying to start it empty can suck charcoal pellets out of the canister into the float bowl. My 258 does that sometimes. The best fix I have heard of and I should do it is to put a clear gas filter on the charcoal canister line that goes to the float bowl vent.

I am in Canada and like inside heat and even better defrost so I always go with a 192 F or close to that. Colder gives really crappie defrost.

That could be a lean miss. I am not sure with the 360, but the 258 is really touchy about the best lean idle mix. If I set mine so the sniffer likes it, it has a slight lope in it. If I set it a 1/4 or 1/2 a turn richer, it goes away.

If the 'lopping' is a surging in idle speeds, then suspect a bad purge valve on the charcoal canister.

Mike

Mike Romain

yes i think you're right. the pebbles were curiously large. i'll try and swap out the cannister (it's prolly 20 years old) and add the filter as you recommended. isn't the charcoal usually bagged w/in the cannister? i'm concerned there may have been internal damage before discovery (i say there was a good 3 or 4 spoons in there). any possibility of that?

That happens when you run out of gas sometimes. The high vacuum involved trying to start it empty can suck charcoal pellets out of the canister into the float bowl. My 258 does that sometimes. The best fix I have heard of and I should do it is to put a clear gas filter on the charcoal canister line that goes to the float bowl vent.

Reply to
rottyguy70

I have a brand new canister and mine will puke pellets. The canisters are very expensive.

There is a quick test for it if it has the vacuum purge valve on it. At idle trace the canister line to the PCV line and pinch this line closed. If the idle changes, the canister purge valve is shot and the canister needs replacing. This 'normally' causes a massive pile of blow by with oil shooting into the air filter.

If you have the canister that goes to the air snorkel, then the only real thing to check is the air filter on the bottom and to make sure it isn't putting a vacuum on the gas tank. (both type have a $2.00 air filter on the bottom, different from the 'custom' inline one I was talking about)

Mike

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain