Squealing Front Drive Shaft

This thing ('03 TJ)has been squeeling like a pig almost since new... it used to be intermittent, but is a full time squeek now... as soon as the wheels turn the shaft(Cardan joint) starts squeekin'... anyhow I have complained about the noise to the dealer several times....at first, Murphys Law was present and the squeek/squeel was not able to be heard by a mechanic.. they finally heard it but told me to stay out of the mud and tend to brush me off telling me "just stay out of the mud" I feel that is quite a cop out as it will squeel whether I've been in the mud or not... I have since taken it elsewhere figuring I would get some grease on her, only to find out that it's a greaseless joint.....GRRRR now what??? anyone run into such a problem??? if so, what was the outcome?? What should I do?? All advice and help is appreciated, Thank You, Jeff '03 TJ...squeek squeek '95 ZJ

Reply to
Jeff

It's likely just dried mud inside the CV's centering pin assembly. Try rinsing it out with lots of WD-40 which fixed mine years ago. Your u-joints inside that double-cardin are well-sealed and likely just fine.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I'm possitive it's not just mud.... we've put the fluid film to her and tried just about everything.... The last mechanic said they are dry inside...

Reply to
Jeff

Had same problem on 96 GC. Started out when it was only 1 yr old, just on freezing days and would go away after driving for 10-15 minutes. This past winter it came and never left. Finally, put in new joints with zerks. Now if I could only get my AC going again.

Reply to
Hikers

Ok.........The squeal is gone... I took it to the dealer this morning, I took it with the intent to stand my ground and have this squeal dealt with once and for all.... The service manager first told me, that if he takes it apart, to find it packed with mud that he never wants to see my Jeep again! I told him that I have avoided mud like the plague. I even passed on an opportunity this week to settle a score with a trail, that's mud hole swallowed my Jeep during the Jeep Jamboree this spring.... Anyhow...I stood firm...telling him that this is not a MUD issue... after a half hour in the waiting room they called me to tell me that they had to order a new cardan joint and it should be in next week...the first thing that came to my head was...OMG...I HAVE to wheel Sunday..we're clearing a new trail and was looking forward to running it.... but then on the way hame...I wasn't 5 minutes from the shop and I wanted to turn around and go back to thank them for finally listening to me and actually doing something... I'm soooo happy...no squeal.,....I have taken alternate routes where I know ppl won't hear my squealing Jeep comin down the road.....it has been a LOUD squealing curse all summer. and YES it was the Cardan Joint...they told me that it was bad. =)

Jeff '03 TJ ahhhh nothing but the hum of mud tires :) '95 ZJ

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

they didn't grease it..LOL they took my front drive shaft out so I could drive it and said they ordered a new Cardan joint...and it should be in next week.. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III