'84 front drive shaft

I have a re-occuring problem. Behind the front yoke at the spline there is a cap that is pressed into the shaft to retain the grease in the spline. This cap has fallen out again. The first time I replaced the front yoke with another used yoke that had a cap in place. Toyota sayes I must replace the whole drive shaft. For years, I just filled this area with gobs of grease by hand, but it's a pain to do. I can get a used drive shaft for $150.00. I'd rather find a way to plug this hole so that it will take the pressure of the grease gun when greasing the spline. I'm not a metal worker, but I may have to be from now on. Any suggestions out there.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

You really don't need to force lots of grease into the slip yoke, its the excess grease that is popping the cap out. I suppose you could have the cap tack-welded in place, make sure it has a small hole in the end to vent excess grease. I like to grease my slip yoke using about the same amount of grease that the u-joints and CV joint took. For example if it took 2 pumps on the gun to grease the bearings, I give the slip yoke 2-3 pumps. Periodically, I pull the shaft off and paint the splines with some grease using a small brush. I've never had one blow out on my '85.

Reply to
Roger Brown

My 85 has done the same thing. Have you found a good fix for this? I have thought about buying a freeze out plug of the approximate size and pressing and welding that. Any other suggestions out there?

Reply to
sjohnsen

excess grease that is popping the cap out. I suppose you could have the cap tack-welded in place, make sure it has a small hole in the end to vent excess grease. I like to grease

CV joint took. For example if it took 2 pumps on the gun to grease the bearings, I give the slip yoke 2-3 pumps. Periodically, I pull the shaft off and paint the splines with some

I understand about overgreasing. I have been greasing tractors and a variety of other equipment most of my life and I know how to grease. I don't force grease out the spline, but only when I see it come out the little hole in the end plate. I put about the same amount of grease as you do. I don't like to waste the stuff and I don't like it coating the underside of my truck, even though it probably prevents corrosion in that area. I have the shaft out now. I am going to clean it and have a plate press fitted into the end. The pressure hole will be there, of course. My dilema will be whether to have it tacked as you suggest. Would the heat of tacking damage the cast yoke? I'm probably going to hire a machine shop to press it and perhaps press the new u-joint. My last comment about too much grease forcing out the cap is that I actually don't grease the truck as often as I should. I find greasing the ball steering knuckle a real pain. I have some choice words for the boots that protect some vital joints that broke within the first year of ownership. The good thing is that the parts have endured without the protective boots or end caps. It is just a pet peeve of mine to have the things in there.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

I had the same thought about the freeze plug. I haven't looked yet, but I fear that finding an exact size may be a waste of time better used somewhere else. I know a fellow with a machine shop and will contact him after I clean the shaft. I will publish my findings here. It may be a month or so before I get back on this.

Reply to
Brad Taylor