Video cameras in your car?

Wotcher all, if anyone's paranoid about accidents or being collared by the boys in blue for something you didn't do (happened a few times to me now) here's a piece of kit you might want to think about. It's a digital video recorder with four inputs that can store five hundred hours of video in a loop, so you can leave it running and if sommat happens, e.g. some turd hits you and claims it's your fault, you've most likely got it on tape. Runs off 12 volts, takes four video inputs and is quite cheap.

I doubt I'll bother as I'll probably make something similar myself combined in with a load of other gadgets (when I get round to it) but thought I'd chuck it into the pool in case someone's interested.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That would be quite a useful security recorder in and around the house, but is the recording resolution good enough at "PAL: 320 x 136 / 640 x 272 " whatever that means !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Not the same thing at all, but I've taken to gaffer-taping a webcam to the reversing light on the 110, pointed at the tow hitch and cabled to the laptop on the passenger seat.

It has been very useful for seeing what's going on when coupling up and seeing how awful my reversing is.

There are 3 snags

  1. Driving between sunlight and in a shed, it takes the camera ages to adjust to the brightness changes.

  1. In sunlight the laptop screen is totally unreadable.

  2. It has proved I need a new battery for the laptop.

This sounds negative, but in reality it has been so useful that I've invested in another webcam that has a nice flat rubbery bottom to get an even better fixing. Cost £4 from Staples, so it had better be worth it.

Reply to
Bill

... or just type "reversing camera kit" into google ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In message , Ian Rawlings writes

The trouble is I'm in the fiver and downwards bracket. What is a shame is that the PDA I use for satnav doesn't have a video input. That would be really useful.

I really do appreciate the need to do this properly for parking etc. For just connecting up to a large boat or two on a trailer once or twice a year, I think I'll just try making a cardboard hood for the laptop.

Reply to
Bill

Bill uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I got a 4 inch screen in colour for a few quid off ebay. A wireless camera and then built a little stand the camera sits on and has a mirror attached to it. The mirror reverse the image and it all came in under £50 IIRC. The mount for the camera mirror is bent such that it hooks on the inside rear window of the caravan... sorted.

Whats more you can use it elsewhere too.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Now there's a statement open to misinterpretation ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

:-)

It's a bitch trying to hide a 12volt tractor battery mind.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Why is she trying to hide it?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

On or around Sat, 19 May 2007 20:19:31 +0100, Douglas Payne enlightened us thusly:

IRTA "where".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well I sure hope the camera helps you find out.

Reply to
Douglas Payne