Scared about being stung on your MOT

Running Landrovers for a while taught me that council test centres are amongst the best around. I do most (when I can) of my own repairs/maintenance and having it MOT'd by someone who has no vested interest in it failing is a good indicator that they will do a thorough job, IMHO.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

What a total load of bollocks! The way that VOSA check mot station now is to turn up a minute or so after you have mot'd a vehicle and retest it again, if you have failed anything that does not need doing you will get points against your station. You will also be checked more frequently so if you make a habit of it you will lose your mot station license. The day's of bent mot's in either direction are a thing of the past.

Reply to
Fred

Sorry but I've got a Capri here which says otherwise. I don't think it even saw the test station.

Reply to
Conor

I know of two stations locally that issue passes for vehicles that most definitely don't deserve them. They only do this for trade associates.

One of them has been in business for over ten years, so the odds of getting caught don't seem that high.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In article , Fred

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Heh there's one round here that will pass pretty much anything. I was arguing with a young chav once that they were crap, and he was like "No they're sensible, they tell you what needs doing when they pass it, so it just gets rid of the re-test hassle" - and I was like, "And how many pikeys, scrapyard brake pad people, will actually bother to get the repairs done?

Reply to
DanB

"Fred" again, if you have failed anything that does not need doing you will get

I know of someone who had a bent MOT on his car, not all that long ago...

Reply to
Doki

They make one collossal mistake: the maximum retest fee is half the full fee (for retests within ten working days) at ALL centres, not just council ones as they claim. So given that they've made an arror of that magnitude, why trust them on anything else?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

It depends how you read it, strictly what's there is correct in what it says *but* they then miss out the case where you take it away from a non- council test centre and bring it back within ten days.

However I agree that it does look like they made a mistake. Have you told them?

You made a similar level of 'mistake' - this maximum retest fee only applies for retests *when you take the car away from the test centre for repairs*. So why should we believe you?

Reply to
PCPaul

Yes. Some time ago.

No mistake. That's the maximum retest fee. In some cases there is no retest fee, in which case the maximum is irrelevant.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Not really. The maximum retest fee in those cases is zero, so it changes depending on circumstances.

However you're just being pedantic and I'm not in the mood, so I'm off...

Reply to
PCPaul