Clicking noise with stop and go braking

Dear experts,

I have a 97 Camry XLE. 6 cylinder. Automatic. 108K miles.

Many of you probably drive in stop and go traffic like I do.

I've noticed something lately. When I press the brake, I hear a click in console between the seats. If I'm holding the gear shift, I feel the click too.

I'm thinking that there is some kind of solenoid that is engaged on the transmission when you put the brake on. That then allows you to shift.

Do you think that this might be causing the noise?

Is it anything to worry about? How much might this be to fix?

Any other possibilities?

Thanks

Reply to
Roger Redford

I'm not sure it's working the way it should be but there is a shift lock that allows the shifter to be moved out of park when the key is turned and the brake pedal is depressed. Basically it's a safety feature that only allows you to shift into gear when your foot is on the brake. It could be something entirely different but that's what first came to mind. Good luck,

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Roger, Relax. I think based on your description what you are hearing is the tail light brake switch light. It is normal. If this is a concern, repalce the switch right above the brake pedal. For sure a DIY part cost about $14 and you don't need to do this anyway. Your Camry got another 50 or 60K miles of trouble free driving ahead of it.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

That's what you're hearing, all right, the brake safety for shifting out of Park. Don't worry about it unless it stops happening....

You might be able to open up the center console and apply some cushioning around the solenoid to absorb the sound of the 'click', but why bother?

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Eh-hm..He referred to a click in console between the seats. Tail light brake switch shouldn't cause vibration like he mentioned. Unfortunately, he shouldn't hear the click after shifting out of park. The OP my have three things to think about:

[1] Yank the solenoid connector and duct tape its tounge, very easy. [2] Clean the console switch. [3] Troubleshoot the the console or interlock circuit and replace.

"Fred"

Reply to
Indian Summer

I also think it's the shift interlock, but you shouldn't hear the noise once the car is in gear. My concern would be a problem existing in the interlock system that potentially might cause a failure one day preventing you from getting the car out of park (this thing's basically supposed to operate once for every trip, it wasn't designed to flip back & forth 40 times on your way to work). There's probably another switch in the shifter console that disables the interlock once the lever is moved out of park, & this switch is either defective or misadjusted. I'd check into it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan