Grinding gear noise when braking to a stop

Have an excellent and well-loved Ford SUV Explorer from the 94's. One out of seven stops I will hear grinding gear sound and feel it through the brake pedal. Just a second or less because when the wheels come to a complete stop the noise stops. So I'm thinking break pedal hitting a drive train gear???? Problem started after replacing torque rod bushing and master break cylinder. Also seems to pull either right or left just before the grinding sound. The ABS?

Anybody have a clue?

Wayne in Chula Vista, CA.

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

You inspected the brakes and the pads are not worn down to bare metal, correct?

Reply to
Happy Traveler

They were just inspected and one replaced.

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

ONE?????

Reply to
Dave

A problem I had on my '91 was sticking brake calipers. I finally quit using brake caliper grease and lubed them with vaseline and WD-40. They work better than ever and are much quieter and my inside pads don't wear out prematurely any more. There must be some reason why nobody uses vaseline such as the danger of the pads getting lubricated so I'll have to add a disclaimer: "Don't try this at home. This person may be an idiot."

Reply to
Ulysses

Does the noise occur only when the brakes are cold? That is, first few stops in the morning or anytime after you have not used them for awhile? If so, problem could be glazed brake pads. One way to check is to make a few hard stops from 60 or 70 miles per hour (on a deserted road of course). This causes the pads to heat up enough to cut or break the glaze. If glazed pads were the problem, the breaks should now be quiet. They will eventually glaze up again, but could take a few months to do so and you can repeat the rapid stopping procedure again for a temporary fix.

I have also seen break pads make noise when cold due to the pads having absorbed moisture, but if that is the case, one or two normal stops cause the pads to heat up enough to get rid of the moisture.

Reply to
sf/gf

It's not the break pads. It's exactly like gears not meshing, just like we did when learning to drive a standard shift with unsynchronized tranny gears. But only momentary as the suv comes to a complete halt, and starts only momentarily before stopping. Just as if the brake pedal were hitting a gear somewhere.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

If you were to put the truck in neutral and brake to a stop would it still do it ? try to isolate the condition by removing the drive train from the equation. .........ps .doubtful the brake pedal is "hitting a gear somewhere"

Reply to
Darby OGill

Have tried this, but the problem is so intermittent that I can' prove anything. What comes closest to repeating is when at the last m oment before stopping I turn the wheel and the brakes seem to grab in the direction I turn and the grinding sound comes in for a split second. Is the ABS system a kind of gearbox?

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

For what it's worth if anybody is following this thread. My mechanic said that the sound is definitely not grinding gears, but most likely the solenoids controlling the antilocking device which are out of synch with the whole system. The ABS sensors show normal on the diagnostic system and all brake items check out normal.

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg