More Information

99 ES300 Shift Solenoid "E" malfunction.

PO770 Code

Question: What does the "E" solenoid do? There are different solenoids so I assume this one makes it shift from what gear to what gear or? The dealership isn't much help. They say it needs a new transmission. I doubt that because I have been driving the thing for awhile now and it shifts fine and the issue is just the lights on. So, what does that solenoid actually do?

Sluggo

Reply to
Sluggo

Shift solenoids control the gears and torque converter lockup. P0770 says that solenoid E is stuck in the open or closed position.

If solenoid E is the same as in the 97 Avalon, solenoid E is shift solenoid SL, which I think controls torque converter lockup. The shift solenoids are located in the valve body so to get access, you have to drop the transmission oil pan, unplug the solenoid, unbolt the solenoid, lube the O-ring on the replacement solenoid with fresh ATF, and reverse the process.

To check the solenoid, remove it from the valve body, apply 71 PSI air pressure, and note whether air passes through or not, then apply 12 volts to the electrical connector and see if the opposite happens when you apply the compressed air.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, Now, If the torque converter is not locking up then will it go into 4th gear? If the torque converter does not lock then would that cause gas mileage to drop?

Sluggo

Reply to
Sluggo

The answer is yest to both questions.

If I recall correctly, using "L" as torque converter lockup and "U" as unlock, the transmission shift sequence is 1-2, 2-L, U-2-3, 3-L, U-3-4, and finally, 4-L. If you step on the brakes, the torqe converter will unlock.

Locking the torque converter eliminates slippage in the transmission for about 1 ~ 3 MPG improvement.

Reply to
Ray O