The E-Type solenoid

Hi, all -

A few weeks ago I posted a request for help sourcing a starter solenoid for the E. Thought it a matter of courtesey to let anyone interested know the outcome.

Basically, it doesn't exist (|). I now know more about solenoids than I ever wanted to. Even given the part number, one solenoid arrived from Belgium bearing all the correct numbers - and it did't fit. Too big. Seems Lucas fitted the same innards and part nos to bodies which were different depending on trhe car. Therefore solenoids with the same number were fitted to cars as diverse a a Silver Shadow 1 and a Morris Marina 1.8, but weren't the same in physical dimnsions.

In the end, wanting to get the car back on the road and needing the workshop space I lifted the engine yet again and fitted a new super-whizzy hi-torque geared starter. Sounds like spin dryer on steroids, but seems to work |OK. At the same time I was put on to a firm called Robson & Francis who lurk somewhere in Brixton. Breath of fresh air - the bloke who took my call understood exactly the problem and suggested a solution - he'd take a look around the workshop and see if he had one to fit, or worst way he would rebuild the original for not more than £75.

In the end he did the rebuild - since it was not possible to find the correct body anywhere he ended up cutting the old unit in half, keeping the front bit - the plunger and fitting flange - and grafting on a new, smaller, body. His guesstimate of £75 wasn't bad - £65 plus VAT came to £74.75! Oh, and as he works in Brixton and lives in Chichester he was able to deliver the bit to me on his way home.

So - I now have the car running with a new starter, plus the original starter with a rebuilt solenoid. May keep as a spare, or once a few more E owners find that the solenoid is unobtainable perhaps put it on E-Bay and retire on the profits.

The number of Robson & Francis is 0207 733 2353, and "the man" is Mike. Unconditional recommendation, and it's rare that I say that. They rebuild pretty much anything in the way of starters, solenoids, dynamos, magnetos - quote from Mike "if it's in a catalogue or parts list we probably aren't the best people to help you". Since the bits being worked on at the time were from Bugatis, pre-war Rollses, ditto Alfas I think their philosophy is pretty clear.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions in response to my original post - where possible I replied individually, but if I missed anyone I apologise.

Now running-in - see previous posts under "it's been an expensive year" but the weather Saturday was perfect so that's the first hundred miles on the clock. Squashed flies on teeth....

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Glad to hear it's running. Nothing like a challenge, eh? At least the end solution wasn't ridiculously expensive.

Reply to
Conor

You wouldn't know a challenge if it bit your arse!

Reply to
Rob, Jane and Freddy