Shift Solenoid

1999 ES300 4-Speed Overdrive with 109K miles. Owned since new. Trouble Code P0770 " The PCM Has Dectected a Malfunction in Shift Solenoid "E" " The "Check Engine" and "Trac" light are on and it has been this way for months. I see no difference in the way it drives or runs. I unhooked the battery and cleared the code and it comes right back in a few hours or at most a few days. AutoZone scanned for the code Now, What sort of ordeal is it to get this repaired? Where is the solenoid and where can I get one or what is the best way to go with this? The "NAG" lights are just what they are ..., NAG lights.

Sluggo

Reply to
Sluggo

Sluggo

That is normal operation. The system is designed this way to help the engine warm up more quickly.

Reply to
Ray O

The shift solenoid is located in the transmission and should be fairly easy to check with a volt/ohm meter and change if necessary, once you have identified which one "E" is. You can get online access to factory service manuals at techinfo.toyota.com for $10/day and identify the solenoid and its location. The solenoids should be accessible from the outside of the transmission case so you don't have to open up the transmission.

The best place to get a replacement solenoid is at a Lexus dealer.

Reply to
Ray O