Re: Chevrolet Volt Concept

The Chevy Volt concept, shown at the Detroit show, is a car designed

> to be a plug-in hybrid from the start. The Volt is based on a roughly > Cobalt-size platform and is said to weigh 3200 pounds, while a 160-hp > electric motor drives the front wheels. That motor is powered by a 400- > pound, 16-killowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack (same kind of > batteries used in laptop computers). GM says this massive battery

Great, general motors - close to the shittest marketing fuds in the world - said it, so it must be great. What the hell makes transferring electricity via the national grid to the car (albeit to do a shit 40 miles!) suddenly a great invention worthy of shoving in an otherwise diabolical car?!

The sooner this tosh is out of the marketplace the better; we need hydrogen or another fuel (whilst they're isn't one viable in the distant future, unfortunately...) into the cars, and we need it soon. I would really like if society went back to the way it was a couple of decades ago. Local shops, no supermarkets, sporadically placed businesses; but if we can't get that to happen to increase happiness in society, then travel we must; and plugging a car into your wall socket is the most stupid idea I've read in many a year in the engineering industry.

If we can get to the moon - which is debatable I am aware - then we can surely power things without using fossil fuels. The only thing I can presume is that it's a conspiracy; although from my own research I know it's not quite that (mostly) - it's the fact we can't get rid of petrol stations whilst the available alternatives on offer just aren't good enough.

I presume toyota (aye right, 'hybrid' pish...) or honda (yay!) will save the day soon.

Reply to
r_trainer