Stalling Fiat Tipo

A friend's 112,000 mile 1.4 Fiat Tipo (carburetor) is sometimes stalling. You can make it stall by giving the engine a stab of throttle in neutral. As the revs fall again, they fall below the idle speed. Sometimes the engine recovers and it bounces back up to idle...and sometimes it doesn't, and stalls.

There don't appear to be any vacuum leaks anywhere, but there are rather a lot of hoses attached to the carb....

Any ideas?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

There's a small square device on the (drivers side of the car) carb, it's there to boost the idle speed up. It has a long leg coming out the bottom and attached to the throttle lever on that side.

I think it's controlled by a thermal switch (screwed into the inlet manifold) so it only operates when cold. The thermal switch could be at fault. The device itself should have a screw on the top and you could try adjusting it either way.

And there could be a vacuum leak, there is no harm in replacing all the rubber hoses, well maybe only the ones that feel hardened. I appreciate there are a lot!

I have a Tempra with a similar carb and they are fine once set up properly, well more or less!

Reply to
Mark W