1976 300D

I am looking at a '76 300D with 59,000 miles in perfect condition. What flaws should I look for? Is $5,000 US a reasonable price? gmcop1

Reply to
gmcop1

I am looking at a '76 300D with 59,000 miles in perfect condition. What flaws should I look for? Is $5,000 US a reasonable price? gmcop1

Reply to
gmcop1

AC, vacuum locking doors and trunk, Becker radio that works!, rust around the tire change jack points, jack, water on rear floor under mats, seat horsehair condition, records on repairs preferably from an MB certified shop, 0-60 MPH should be around 18 seconds, blow back from oil filler hole ... bad rings, working tach and cruise control, look at the oil filter area for oil on the vacuum line connectors ... was the car stored inside? Take a drive and look for hard shifting. Some years start in 2nd gear. Listen for noise down shifting (not manualy downdshifting) from 25 mph. Tranny flair going into 4th gear. Does it have MB antifreeze or green stuff? Are there any dark blotches in the clear fuel filter? Does the engine shut off with the key? Shut off engine, wait 1/2 hour and try the master lock. Does the owner have both keys? Are the keys steel? Working power antenna? Assume everything rubber is a time bomb. Look at the air cleaner mounts. If they let go, air cleaner will hit the inner fender and make a hell of a noise. But 1st you must ask your self if youre capable of wrenching and have the $ to keep a 30 year old car running. Please don't fall in love with an vintage MB hoping to use it as a daily driver without going over everything. These cars are best owned by someone who tinkers with her often ... maint. not repair. Good luck. I have a 1979 300SD and while I'm still getting the bugs out of the old lady, she purrs on WVO. Nothing like the ride of a vintage 2 ton MB getting 25 MPG at $.20 per gallon. Just wish my WVO would leave black smoke. Getting tired of do gooders thinking my engine rings / valves are shot.

Reply to
lostyank54751

$5K is a bit steep. She better be cherry with origional paint and all maint records. You can't do a CarFax on the VIN (too old and the VIN system won't work till '80s models)

Reply to
lostyank54751

This car is 30 years old; what's the fascination?

Old cars don't get senior discounts at repair shops.

$5K can buy a substantially newer car that will have done more miles but is of this era.

It's you money.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

If you have to ask YOU shouldn't be looking for trouble by yourself. Take it to a german cat place with lots of Mercedes in the parking lot and aks if there's anuybody that knows the 123 chassis really well and pay them whatever they ask to do a THOROUGH evaluation inclusing compression test (which is non-trivial in a diesel).

$5000 is a premium price and only a near-flawlesss car warrents this.

I'm always suspcious of low milage cars, I've seen too many that need eevrything replaced because they've sat for too long. Much better is a higher milage car that's been properly serviced its whole life. MUCH better.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Agree... too much money.

Reply to
Tiger

Too easy to roll back the mileage on older cars.

Reply to
Tiger

You are right! Regards, Mauro

Reply to
Cescolini

Overpriced by a factor of 10?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I agree with this, it MIGHT be worth 5K if the car is really pristine. Any paint work or repair, anything that seems a little odd, any visible wear and tear, and this is too much money.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

The condition of the car is the acid test, not the reading on the odometer.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Reply to
gmcop1

I gave up on the '75 after everyone's good advice. Just purchased an '85 300D with 133,000 miles that is in great original shape for just under 4k. I'll be checking the archives for maintenance info. Thanks for the help. Gary

Reply to
gmcop1