1976 300D nonturbo

Hi,
Just got this car. Speedometer works, but odometer does not. Has anyone fixed an odometer? Drove it from Chicago to Columbus, Ohio with zero problems and now it will sit till much warmer weather. But
that doesn't mean that I can't prep for the dozens of little things that need attention on this fine automobile. All info will be appreciated.

http://www.odometergears.com
They all do this and this is the only place to buy the one part that fails. The guy makes them.
On Feb 13, 8:32 am, snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Okay! -- Thanks!!!

Seems to me that I fixed the odometer on my 1977 240D by diddling with it while watching a one hour TV show.
The gears tend to slide sideways on the shaft and get out of mesh. Also the shaft is knurled and if a gear starts slipping, it has its hole enlarged and spins around on the knurling. Both the gear hole and the shaft knurling wears.
All I did was rough up the shaft knurlings by using a pair of diagonal pliers then pressed each gear sideways until it was again at its correct position on the shaft. A drop of Locktite also helps.
As mentioned, one the odometer was disassembled from the instrument cluster assembly, the whole operation took less than an hour.
Doug

Yeah you can do that if the gear in question is salvagable. I tried this too and got another 6 months out of it but the tteeth on the gear were damaged as well. ALL postwar German cars use this same VDO part and it fails on every one of them... which is why the guy makes this one gear I guess.
Here's the instrument cluster removel procedure:
    http://articles.mbz.org/instrument/renew /