1982 240d Mercedes-Benz Turbocharger

ok. I have a 1982 240d Mercedez Benz, diesel, manual, and I'm basically looking for a turbocharger (mostly in e-bay) because the car is really damn slow.
My problem is I don't really know what turbocharger I'm looking for. I'm not sure if its compatible with my car, so hope you can help me. here's some list of turbochargers I got from e-bay and please tell me which one is compatible with it. p.s. you could also tell me what site I can go to to help me with this problem. -GARRETT T350 (LIKE T04B) TURBOCHARGER-NEW -IHI RHB5 Turbocharger - REBUILT -Garrett GT TP38 Turbocharger 1.10 A/R Comp -T3 Turbo Turbocharger -T4 T04B Garrett Turbocharger Turbo -IHI Turbo Turbocharger NT Garrett HKS Perfect -Turbocharger T03 rebuilt for race engine -T4 T04 Garrett turbocharger turbo T04B T3
thanx

Adding a turbocharger won;t change your luck. Turbocharging an engine means it can burn more fuel. Your problem is having someone build an injection pump and control system that will add more fuel when the turbo adds more air. There is no practical way to do this.
couldn't he use a 240td ? isnt't block and head the same 240d vs. 240td ? maybe just as a donor or the whole thing?

means it

and
is

The 240TD is not a turbocharged diesel, but a t-model (estate) with Diesel engine. IMHO the only turbocharged engine available for the W123 series was the 300TD Turbodiesel (in Germany only sold as estate)
Frank

Right!
Juergen ------------------------------------------------------
Frank Kemper wrote:

Years ago I had a long argument with a guy that put a turbo on a 240D engine and came in complaining of oil leaks. I told him that just adding a turbo will only give you more air and unless you put some kind of enrichment compensator on the injection pump, you will not gain anything. His reply: "This turbo is designed for this engine." My reply: "That turbo may be designed for that engine but THAT engine was never designed for a turbo" As far as the oil leaks, I told him that the 300D turbo engine has a different crank with grooves to lead the oil away from the front and rear crank seals and the pistons are oil cooled with squirters, the turbo pressurizes the crankcase. Even if you put a turbo on a naturally aspirated 300D, it will leak oil. Your 240D engine was never designed for a turbo. His reply? "This turbo is designed for this engine." "Sir, your engine was never designed for a turbo!" "This turbo was designed for this engine." It went back and forth like this a couple more times until I finally told him to talk to the person that designed that turbo for his engine. His parents never should have had children......

karl, you havent said anything about the 240td ...
there was a 240 td (t for turbo, not T for wagon....) of course, there was a 240tdt as well :O)
like to hear a response
alex

Sorry, I know nothing of such a thing here in the USA. Not sure where the original postee lives, he has a yahoo email.

Forget about turbo charging a 240D.
It is what it is and if it's too slow sell it and buy a 300D turbo whose engine was designed for turbo charging, also its transmission was beefed up for the additional power.
of course...everybody is right....stupid idea...240D should be left alone
buut...have i dreamt this....i swear...there was a 240 turbo in germany...
hope juergen can remember

i guess it was a dream
never mind...the 240D turbo diesel never existed

No, there was never ever any 240D Turbo or 240TD Turbo in the W123 series.
Juergen (and time simply wasn`t ripe for such a car then) ----------------------------------------------------------
Alex Hemmerich wrote:

I heard all about the "don't put turbo in 240d" but I'm trying to increase it's lag time. I heard about 240dt and stuff but I don't have any clue about them.
Anyways, I also heard that the 300td's turbo could be attached to the 240d. Its just my speculation since it's engine is quite similar to the 240d.
I'm REALLY a NEWBIE on car stuff so please bare with me. It's really not my fault why I'm driving a 240d. But if there are any possibilities that I can make my car go faster (except replacing the whole engine) like replacing certain parts with better parts, that would be perfect. Also, if you guys have any sites I could go to that would help/advice me with this problem. thanx
Simply forget to _tune_ your car - even if you manage to get an extra 5 hp (or so) these are not worth the cost/effort, the car will still be _very_ slow!
I have driven all the European W123 diesel engines with 55 to 125 PS and amongst them also different versions like 200D w/55 PS and 60 PS or 240D w/65 PS and 72 PS - although in direct comparison you DO feel the difference the cars are still extremely to very slow!
The big plus point with the OM 616 is its simplicity and longevity - but surely NOT its power!
In case you want more power - sell your car and switch to a W123 300D Turbodiesel.
(And again: A 240DT is NOT existent, there is only the 240TD - a normal non-turbo OM 616 engined station wagon)
Juergen
BTW: It always pays to read W123 postings: In spring 2006 starts the new CL coupe CL 216, just six months after the new S-Class W221. This april we will see an C-Class facelift, the C sportcoupe will also get a 5.5-litre V8 with 388 PS. In January 2006 the new M-Class ML 63 AMG will go on sale with 6.3-litre V8 and 476 PS. The limited-series CLK-DTM race-car will have a 6.0-litre V8 bi-turbo with 544 PS. And in 2006 we will see the E63 AMG non-turbo with a maximum torque of 800 Nm. ;-) (All info without guarantee, specs for Germany) ---------------------------------------------------------
neolancet wrote:

How much faster and what cost do you want the 240D to go..... Do you live near Texas ....there is customize shop in East Texas. The Benz burns diesel ,but is not a diesel....entended for commerical delivery and cab service. Sounds like you want a limo package, some of them go to 700 ft lbs.......950Nm roughly.Engine built by John Goold in Kent ,England.(7500+ pounds streling for the engine) Only three of them in use,two in California(Jay Leno and Jim Crank) .none in a Benz at this time.