1981 Mercedes Benz 240d fuse location

I have an 1981 Mercedes Benz 240D..my dashboard lights and all heater and ac control lights quit working. I assume this is a fuse problem..however I have no idea where the fuse is located for the illumination. All the gauges and controls work..just the lights are out..can anyone PLEEEAAASSSSEEEE tell me where this fuse is located ASAP. It's rather difficult to drive at night without them ! lol Thanks for your help..Greg Davis

Reply to
greg davis via CarKB.com

"greg davis via CarKB.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com...

Your fuses are located under the hood, on the driver's side near the hood hinge. Raise your hood all the way up by first depressing the small lever on the lower part of the hood hinge on the driver's side. This is a little flat metal catch that pushes downward. You may have to pull down slightly on the hood in order to release this catch. You will notice that the hood goes up a little further than before. Go to the passenger side and do the same with that hood hinge catch. Once you release that one you can raise the hood up to a completely vertical position. This is one of the greatest features MB incorporates in their cars. The only reason I mention this feature here is that many people have own an MB for years and still don't know about this neat feature. Anyway, the fuses are located under that black plastic cover (about 5 x 7 inches) with two knurled knobs. Simple unscrew them and pull the cover out toward the hinge. Note exactly how you have to twist and turn this cover in order to remove it as it can be a bit of a hassle getting it back in unless you know just how to do the process in reverse. On the inside of the cover you will see a layout of the fuses and just what each fuse controls. You can also look to see which fuse has burned out. This is normally pretty evident but sometimes you will find that a fuse simply isn't making contact on one end or the other. Just twist them all from side to side after replacing any that are burned out. Also, check to make sure the fuse cover gasket is in place real good before reinstalling it. Let me know if this explanation works for you.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

Try twisting the panel lights dimmer.

Reply to