1986 300e

Suddenly my 300e won't go into Drive. It goes into the lower gears just fine. There is a little grit in the AT fluid. Been serviced regularly. The only thing I noticed before this was a slight
hesitation when taking off from a stop. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Does this mean by trans is bad? thanks
Change your fluid and filter... Drain the torque converter and the pan... or drain and refill the pan 2 times before you change the filter.
My car had slight problem in morning... seems like the clutchpack doesn't grab and stutters... When I changed the fluid and filter... it solved itself and runs good.
On 17 Oct, 12:21, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

thanks I will follow your suggestions. Everyone tells me the transmission is bad. how do I tell?
thanks I will follow your suggestions. Everyone tells me the transmission is bad. how do I tell?
Maybe because it won't go into drive? Sounds like a good clue to me :)

so if I look for a used transmission to have put in how do I know what kinds are c ompatible with mine. I have a 1986 300e vin wdbea30d3ga197725 4s auto trans thanks
If you look on the passenger side of your transmission, just above the oil pan, you will find the trans serial number stamped into the flat area. Per your vin number, your trans serial number should be 722.320 02 760277 You need to find another trans with same six beginning numbers: 722.320 for a bolt-in swap. Should be 86 to 9/89 300E, 300CE, and 300TE. [sedan, coupe, wagon]
wrote in message

hey thanks a ton
On 17 Oct, 12:21, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

thanks. I wil try that. Everyone tells me the transmission is bad. what do you think?

I recall there was a problem with cheap (Fram, I think) filters coming apart. This caused all kinds of transmission woes. (Seem to remember reading it on the old mercedes mailing list).
Check the archives http://www.mercedes.cx/archives/