1995 280E Idle Problem

I have a 1995 280E Touring which suddenly developed a poor idle and often will not tickover at all especially when cold. The engine will not rev above
4000rpm without faltering. The car is automatic and the auto up change up is snatchy. The manual gear select has also stopped responding Can anyone offer any suggestions
Best Regards
Mark
This combination of problems leads me to the possibility of a broken motor mount that's let the engine shift its position. That would account for the limited throttle, the lack of gear select and poor idle if a vacuum hose is broken.
Since you ask for suggestions I suggest you get this car to a competent repair shop.