1995 f150 yoke

I have a 1995 F150 with a cracked yoke on the driver train if I replace it with one from junk yard should it be ok Ford does not make that part anymore truck has a little shimmy in it under 35 mph and if I replace it should it take are of the problem? thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim

you mean on the driveshaft? I would take the whole driveshaft to a good spring and driveshaft shop and have them rebuild it completely and balance it. should only cost $150 or so and then you'll be good to go for another 15 years.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You have a couple of things that must be looked at before you put new parts on, else the new parts will look like the old parts in pretty shore order.

1.) Has the truck been lifted? If Yes, then, is the transmission and differential on the same plane, or at least parallel planes? The centerline of the transmission (transfer case if 4WD) and the differential must be on the same line or on parallel lines. It isn't good enough to say, they are pointed at each other. If the centerlines run at an angle to one another, the yokes will be stressed pretty severely, and as the suspension moves up and down, the stress can become so great as to break the yokes. To make the trans and diff parallel, you have to either change the angle of the engine/transmission, or tilt the rear axle upwards to counter the affects of the lift. 2.) Are the U-joints properly in phase with one another? Fords have a slip joint that lets the driveshaft change length as the suspension travels. If the driveshaft halves have been separated and put together wrong, then the U-joints will be operating on different planes and this will cause the yokes to be beat to shit, and there could be a vibration.

NOTE A problem with drivetrain vibrations -- especially from the causes I've given so far -- is that they exist at all speeds even though you think they go away at high speeds (you stated that they go away at speeds above 35). They do not go away, they only become so close together that you don't feel them thanks to the magic of harmonics.

3.) If your driveshaft has a double cardan type of joint (double U-joints at the transmission end) then the cardan unit can be broken, and this will give a vibration or audible clunking noise at low speeds.

No matter what you have, it is REQUIRED that all u-joints be in phase with one another, the cardan unit not be worn out, and the transmission/transfer case output shaft and differential input shaft be parallel.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I agree with Nate. Take it to a driveline shop. Just because Ford doesn't sell them any longer doesn't mean they are not available. Most of those yokes can be matched up easily enough since most are built from common designs and classifications. It would also be a good idea to use a protractor level to make sure the driveline angles are the same and within limits if the truck has been lifted or lowered. That seems to play hell with some joints. If they operate at abnormal angles, the joints may need to be replaced with joints designed for the purpose. A good driveline shop can handle all of those problems in short order.

You should do something about the cracked yoke asap. A dropped drive shaft can be dangerous to you, your passengers, your vehicle and anything else nearby.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Yokes are pretty common stuff. There are a few makers, I can think of Spicer off the top of my head, that make them and u-joints. I'm sure there are loads of other makers, I just can't remember them right now.

A driveline shop can easily fabricate a new driveshaft, or replace a yoke on a shaft you already have.

I'd be very concerned with WHY the yoke broke. This is not a normal thing to have happen.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I have seen yokes crack from binding cause by steep angles or out of phase for a long period. I have seen a couple crack or break in drag racing. Driveline loops are a good idea anywhere a driveline is heavily stressed.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I agree. I tried to address those issues -- lifted truck and out-of-phase -- in my first response. I assumed that the F150 was not used for drag racing.

I had trouble with the center section of my double-cardan in the Jeep I used to own, but I never had a yoke go south on me. My Jeep had a slip joint in the shaft so it could change length with the suspension travel, so it was easy to get the yokes out of phase during servicing. I used model car paint -- the kind with the small brush in the bottle cap -- to draw lines on the parts that could be separated so they could be put back together in the proper alignment.

My Bronco had a slip-joint drive shaft, but I'm not sure if my F150 does , or not. But if the driveshaft has been removed on the OP's truck for any reason, and the transmission or differential were turned while the shaft was out, then the yokes could be oriented out of phase with one another.

Lift (suspension changes, either up or down) can result in problems with the angle of the differential that will cause stress and breakage of the yokes. Out-of-phase issues will also destroy a yoke. Combine out-of-phase and lift, and the yokes will have a difficult life indeed. But whatever. Yokes almost never fail unless something is wrong.

Fix whatever is wrong before fixing the yoke, or the new yoke will break also.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland