Periodically, I am hearing a "clunk" which sounds like something moving
around in the trunk. But, that's not the problem. A search on the internet
suggests this may be a defective universal joint. I have three questions:
1) what happens if I do nothing?
2) What am I looking at in the way of repair costs in the U.S.
3) Is this something only for dealership service, or could it be done
Thanks for any help!
Sherm in Chicago
If it is a U joint:
1) Eventually you will drop the drive shaft onto the road possibly taking
out some other stuff under the car as it whips around.
2) Not sure, but best guess is $100+ (this would be about $40 on a "normal"
3) Don't know your area, but there are other people who can service MBs
besides the stealer. The problem is finding a reputable one.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.