1998 C230 UNIVERSAL JOINT

Periodically, I am hearing a "clunk" which sounds like something moving around in the trunk. But, that's not the problem. A search on the internet suggests this may be a defective universal joint. I have three questions:

1) what happens if I do nothing? 2) What am I looking at in the way of repair costs in the U.S. 3) Is this something only for dealership service, or could it be done elsewher?

Thanks for any help!

Sherm in Chicago

Reply to
Sherman Kaplan

questions:

My clunk was a lose muffler.

Reply to
tim

If it is a U joint:

1) Eventually you will drop the drive shaft onto the road possibly taking out some other stuff under the car as it whips around. 2) Not sure, but best guess is $100+ (this would be about $40 on a "normal" car). 3) Don't know your area, but there are other people who can service MBs besides the stealer. The problem is finding a reputable one.

Davehd

Reply to
Dave HD