1999 merc 320 wipers

can anyone tell me if they have had problems with the intermitant wipe not working on their merc. I previously had a 220 and it cost me 120 for new indicator/ wiper control arm, and the same fault has 0ccured on this 320.
also can any let me know how the air con works on the 320. the button is marked E/C, but on reading the manual this says that E/C stands for economy control. should i have this button on or off?
As far as wiper. test it by spraying water onto the windshield by the rear view mirror. Make sure the wiper setting is set to intermittent.
If something is wrong with A/C the EC light will come on and you cannot turn it off... meaning something is broken.... a sensor... last 3 times it happened to our W210... it turn out to be the evaporator temperature sensor. Don't just change the part... there is a diagnostic procedure to find out which one is bad.

The E/C mode is equivalent to having outside air flow into the vehicle, i.e., a vent.
Lee K wrote:

AFAIK, the E/C turns off the compressor (when lit), nothing to do with how the flaps route the air streams.
Have a peek inside the engine bay, have a look at the lowest pulley on the right hand (viewed from front of car). (for M104 engine) This will spin if the compressor is active.
br, syljua