Battery problems E 320, 1999

Hi all... hope you can help... i had to jump start my car yesterday as the battery was flat... I drove it 100 miles then stopped the engine and restarted it straight away and it worked... however when i put the battery charger on it over night it looked fully charged but would not start the car... I also had 4 dry cells and had to top up with half a litre of condensed water... will a new battery solve the problem??? also i have been told that when i disconnect the old battery to put the new one on that the computor system will go haywire...??? is this true or can i just change the battery... Thanks in antisipation for you help Regards Steve

Reply to
multispacer

Your old battery doens't hold much or a charge. Any good garage can "load test" it for you but it sure soundss like new battery time to me.

I'm very partial to those "Optima" batteries. They seem to work longer and better than conventional batteries.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

You may have to reset your windows and sunroof plus your radio will ask you for its security code. Resetting procedures are in your owner's manual if you need them. Your car may have lost/reset it adaptation features like the transmission and throttle response but that is no big deal. The car will just relearn them as you drive.

Doug

Reply to
-

Thanks a lot Doug regards Steve

Reply to
multispacer

Where can I get this product? To reconstitute, do I simply add water?

Reply to
Lee K

..... ROTFL .... good one

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Thanks a lot Doug regards Steve

Reply to
multispacer

sorry its distilled water you need from any auto shop

Reply to
multispacer

As a reminder to all, you can bypass this problem by hooking up a temporary battery to cigarette lighter (with engne key to on accessories position) 12V battery via a cut off cigarette lighter hookup such as radar detector, phone charger... you know... those junk cable you don't need anymore.

Or you can buy a 9V battery adapter version... or a car charger(jumpstart battery pack and hook up the cigarette lighter on battery pack to car cigarette lighter with key in acc position).

Reply to
Tiger

Oh... change that battery... it is done and cooked.

Reply to
Tiger

It sounds like you need a new battery.

When my 1997 E320 battery was replaced the engine would not hold a steady idle. It surged up and down in speed. The Mercedes technician who had replaced the battery (on warranty) reprogrammed some on board computer and the problems went away.

HTH, EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Dead battery. Temporary power (restart after drive) only shows can store charge for a short while.

gamini

Reply to
gw

chance are great that when your battery became depleted, it also went into deep discharge and sulphated, thus shorted across plates. it's difficult to recover from this condition. get it replaced. you did the best you could by topping off with distilled water and trickle charging. did you follow up and perform specific gravity reading? if so, what was it...in each cell? this is important because the battery is really a series of half dozen batteries.

Reply to
avi8tor01

4 dry cells? Either your battery is leaking, is very old, or your alternator regulator is sending too high a voltage to the battery. How old is your battery? If it is relatively new, topping it off with distilled water may save the battery for the time being. ( I have no idea what you mean by "condensed" water. ) Check the voltage received by the battery when it is charging.
Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox