2002 Malibu NIGHTMARE!!! Tell me if you have had the same!!!

2002 Malibu bought used in July 2003 with 52,000 miles on it.

Here is the list of things fixed since then:

- Bald tires on the car after 2 months of having the thing

- Catalytic converter clogged at 60,000

- MAS replaced at 60,000

- EGR Valve replaced at 60,000

- Fuel Filter replaced at 60,000

- Spark plugs replaced at 60,000 so they wouldn?t feel out of place with all the NEW parts in the car. :?

- Brake pads worn out and left rotors out .07. Had them replaced at Firestone (the dealership we bought from went under). 2 months later, same old story

- July of 2005, air conditioner STOPS working entirely. Air condenser went out and had to be replaced at the tune of $900.

- Now air conditioner flips between MAX air and AC on a whim.

- Brakes barely work.

- Ever since the catalytic converter was replaced, engine lacks power (apparently a low backpressure cat system).

-Now the thing won?t crank. It turns over, but won?t start. The battery doesn?t have any juice to crank. I left it sitting with the key in ON to clear Passlock errors. It cranked ONCE yesterday and anytime immediately after that it would crank.

Could someone describe the difficulty of replacing the ignition cylinder? Is this a possible reason for the car not working now? I am wanting to fix it and sell it before it?s too late.

BTW, can we not start some sort of group complaint to BBB or Consumer Affairs to get Chevy to take responsibility for these cars?! :evil:

Reply to
jjoyner

What does GM have to do with: Bald tires at 60000 miles. Didn't you look at them when you bought it 2000 miles earlier?

All the engine stuff and converter was probably bad fuel. Several gas suppliers have been caught on that lately.

Brakes and rotors at 60000 and poor quality replacements. What do you expect?

Air condenser out because of a rock more than likely. That is happening across the board in increasing frequency today which is more to do with poor regulations on trucks dumping junk on the roads.

The cranking problem could be the switch but unlikely and you need to troubleshoot where the signal is being lost.

All of this sounds like you bought a car that was beat to death without looking at it and now want to blame GM.

Reply to
Woody

Greetings,

So you bought this car with 52,000 miles put on it in one year and you are complaining about what? Let's take a look...

On a one year old car with 52,000 miles on it they probably were the original tires, but I figure you were lucky to get even the additional 2 months out of them. As a general rule I haven't found stock factory tires that go much past 35,000 miles.

Bad fuel. Heaven knows that with 52,000 miles on it it drank quite a few gallons in that first year, and if this was a fleet car (which it sounds like it was) then I can guarantee that it didn't get the highest quality gas. Then again if this was the first time the fuel filter was replaced then it was still 30,000 miles overdue.

Big deal.

Tell me you were surprised by the brakes going bad after that many miles. If they went bad again after only two months I'd have a strong word with the Firestone dealership if I were you.

Road debris. Sounds like you caught a rock - unfortunate but not unheard of.

Normal. The AC switches between Max (which is simply a recirc mode) and Normal depending on interior and exterior temperatures to try to keep you as cool as possible. Last time I checked it was still August...

So what you're saying is that the cat was replaced with an incorrect one or the work was incorrectly done? Am I the only one who sees this as an oxymoron? Sounds like you are on the verge of answering your own question.

Did you have the alternator checked, or charged then tested the battery? Either or both could be the culprit. I'd start there.

Well, I wouldn't be taking it back to that Firestone anytime soon to have any more work done, that's for sure!

Chevy ain't got nothing to do with this, plus this car is most likely way out of warranty (36,000 miles I believe). You can file complaints with the BBB until the cows come home but you already said the dealer you bought it from went belly-up. Sounds like now we know why.

Good luck - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Reply to