2000 E55 License Light Replacement

Can anyone tell me how to get to the license light bulbs? Above the license on the outside of the trunk is a plastic piece over the lights with two screws (left and right). After removing both screws, their is still some type of fastener in the center with no obvious way to remove(not a screw, bolt, or allen head).

Reply to
E55

license on the outside of the trunk is a plastic piece over the lights with two screws (left and right). After removing both screws, their is still some type of fastener in the center with no obvious way to remove(not a screw, bolt, or allen head).

You may just have to sell the car in its broken state.

Reply to
Miro

A simple problem, a simple question, well met with a simple answer from a simple mind.

Reply to
E55

but it was so funny !

Reply to
randell

It's illegal for E55 owners to smile.

Reply to
Miro

ok. I'm smiling.

Any technical help? This center fastener looks like a small carriage bolt. I've tried a reasonable amount of pressure to attempt to pop the fastener out, but am afraid I will break the plastic piece.

I've also found other posts on other sites where this piece is held on by three screws, but once they get this piece off (the simple one I'm struggling with), they still can't get to the bulb.

Now this is a two part question. Do I even need to remove this piece or should I be gaining access through the trunk?

Reply to
E55

bolt. I've tried a reasonable amount of pressure to attempt to pop the fastener out, but am afraid I will break the plastic piece.

three screws, but once they get this piece off (the simple one I'm struggling with), they still can't get to the bulb.

should I be gaining access through the trunk?

Ok I have no idea since the last two times I was able to have it done under warranty or for free. Now for my dealer to offer a free service it must mean that there is a fast way to do it. For some reason every time I ask them how to replace a bulb they do it themselves.

Reply to
Miro

I've tried a reasonable amount of pressure to attempt to pop the fastener out, but am afraid I will break the plastic piece.

screws, but once they get this piece off (the simple one I'm struggling with), they still can't get to the bulb.

I be gaining access through the trunk?

You can do it from the outside, the bulb holder has two plastic tags which hold it in place and you need to bend these using a small hook in order to pull it out. However, this way is tricky and you run the risk of damaging the bulb holder.

The alternative is to remove the boot trim from the inside and access the bulb holder this way. Although it may take you a little longer its much easier and less chance of breaking stuff.

Reply to
miknik