License plate light

Hi all,

the light of my licenseplate is living it's own life. Sometimes it won't go on when i turn on the light. Is it the obvious 'clean all terminals' technic or is there something else to check? Is the fuse for it the same as my headlights? It's for my '73

TIA, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

It is tapped off one of the tail lights. See if both tail lights remain on when the license goes out. There are 2 fuses for tail lights; completely separate from headlights.

Besides the bulb and socket, check the Brw Ground wire. It should terminate at a Ground terminal behind one of the tar boards in the engine bay.

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

try a new bulb some times the filiment is broken loose by engine viberation

Reply to
badnews

This site is great for sorting out your wiring issues!!

Mac

Reply to
Mac

According to my manual there could be a white fuse tube in the engine compartment, you might want to check there too. I am having a problem with my lights (all park lights, break & backup) still trying to figure out what color wires go on what terminal. Any suggestions?

Thanks Ray Orlando

Reply to
Bug73

Yes indeedy!

For the '73, you're better off downloading the '72 de diagram; it will be easier to follow and the fuses are the same.

BTW, the fuse in the engine bay is for the Backup lights only.

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Ah, thanks Jim.

It now makes some sense to me.. It all occured when I dropped the engine. Must have done something wrong then. I've glansed into the engine bay but could not find the culprid yet. Lightbulb seemes to be ok. By 'one of the tar boards' you mean the ones on the side right? Not at the back? When I'm not so bussy with work I'll take more time to search.

Thanks again. Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Yes, tar boards on each side.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

All pretty good ideas so far. :)

Easiest tho is to take the non-working sucker off and throw it away!

That method usually worked for me and my '67 bug "Junk Heap". :) (it was lighter than stock, believe it?;)

Alvin in AZ ps- I see lots of familiar names still hanggin out here :)

Reply to
alvinj

"bug '59" schreef in bericht news:45da0dbc$0$2021$ snipped-for-privacy@text.nova.planet.nl...

I feel sooo stupid..

MOT for both bug's is this friday. So I had to make time to fix the license plate light. Opened the taillights to see what side is used for the license plate.. no luck Opened left tar board to see if there was something... yuk PO did a mayor screw-up with an alarm, but.... no luck Opened right tar board to see if there was something.. BINGO, 2 ground terminals almost eaten away. Ah, that had to be the culprit...

Euh, no. In the end it turned out to be the lightbulb!! Took it out and it LOOKED ok. Changed the lightbulb and "then there was light"

Turnes out that the poster had good advice :)

Thanks all, Roger

Reply to
bug '59