240D trans shifting

My 82 240 doesn't shift all four gears anymore. No quick shift on take off after a complete stop. Could this be a vacuum leak?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" haute in die Tasten:

Yes, definitely.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

So which tubes are supposed to hold vacuum?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" haute in die Tasten:

I was afraid you would ask. The 240D automatic has a vacuum system which is (at least in germany) responsible for:

- turning off the engine

- controlling the auto transmission

- operating the central door lock system

- operating the headlight level mechanism

The system should hold vacuum that much, that you are able to lock and unlock all doors up to eight times without running the engine. If some of the components I have menitoned show erraneous function, it is very likely that you have some leak in this system of vacuum hoses. In my case the car would not shut off, and the gearbox refused to use the upper gear. The Mercedes mechanic took off a vacuum hose under the bonnet (near the diesel injection pump) cleaned it with a paper clip and popped it on again. It was a 30 second job, and the problem was gone.

As I did not do it on my own, you will have to find the faulty hose on your own, I assume. Sorry for that.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

That job would probably cost a couple of thousand times as much at a privately owned US dealer. Manufacturers should be able to own their dealers.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

That job would probably cost significantly more and be represented as more complex by a privately owned US dealer. Manufacturers should be able to own their dealers.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

I guess I mean which devices. I tried the two main hoses teeing off the line to the brake booster and neither would hold.

Reply to
Chris