82 240D Key - $22!?!

You've got to be kidding me... I called up a MBZ dealership to get a key made. They want $22 per each key. This isnt some hightech chipped eurostyle key, it's just a strange looking regular metal key.

I've already consulted a local locksmith (my best friends dad actually) to see what he could do. He said he didn't know where to order a blank for such a key as this and that i'd have to talk to a dealership. He also agree'd that $22 for a key like that was outrageous. This coming from the guy who charges $50 to unlock your car...

Is there any alternative to paying $22?

Reply to
mitch knight

The chipped key set me back $250. Your problem is ?

Reply to
Miro

In news:401affaf$0$28869$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au, Miro decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Key for my 82 500 cost me £11.18. From M-B, from the chassis number, sent from Germany, arrived next day

so $22 isn't cheap.

Reply to
Pete M

In Scotland maybe, but in the USA it would be a whole $1.80 cheaper. Dang, there goes the Happy Meal.

Reply to
Miro

In news:401b1577$0$4260$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au, Miro decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

NOOOOO, don't take my happy meal :-(

Reply to
Pete M

I needed a key for my 84 500SEL. Called locksmiths in the area and got prices of $30 to $35 if they could cut the key. They said that if the key was worn too much, they couldn't even start to cut it. I call MBZ and got a price of $19. I was so happy, I ordered 2 keys. All I had to do was give them the VIN. The keys were in in 4 days. At that time I had to proove that I owned the car. Try that with GM, Ford, Chrysler, or any other manufacturer. They may be able to get you a key if the car is less than 5 or 6 years old, but not a car 20 years old. I would say, count your blessings, and order your key.

Paul McKechie

Reply to
Paul

I have an extra blank for my 74 240D that I'd be willing to sell you. Send me a close-up photo of your existing key, and I'll see if my blanks match your key.

Reply to
Sunilito

I payed approx 30$ for a key for my 1987 MB - 190e (2.0i). The key was order trough my MB-dealer in Sweden, and manufactured in Germany using the chassis number of my car as a referense.

/CC

Mary Jane

I am a locksmith, and a duplicate of that key should be $4. If you had the laser key those are more pricey.

IIRC The blank number for your key is an X 82.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

well then dont forget, there is someone also keeping your cars VIN filed vor

30 years in order to supply you the right key if needed... all this for 22 dollars...come one! Alex's 2 cents

"Roger Shoaf" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@jaguar.syix.com...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

Don't go to the MB dealer for keys unless you have lost all keys, or your 'master' key to make copies from is worn out and won't make copies.

Find a good locksmith. The key style you need has been used by MB for decades. The one with the square rubber head is the main key. There's also a round headed one which is the valet key (it won't open the trunk lock or glove box lock).

Go to a local locksmith who has experience with import car locks/keys.

-Jack '81 230CE '82 300CD

Reply to
Jack Stafford