260E noisy back end

My 1989 260E (120,000 Kms) has developed a series of "klunks"?? in the l/h rear wheel while making r/h turns. I have had the wheel off and all seems
well exept that the drive shaft/ axle seems to have an execessive amount of end float and klunks as it bottoms out at the wheel end. Can any one please give me some clues here.
Regards Kev Lamb
I would suspect the rear wheel bearing... With wheel on and safely jacked up and supported by jack stand and parking brake on... Rock the wheel ... passenger side tend to wear twice as fast as the driver side.
If not this, then I would say the rear sway bar links.