300E Replacement Radio

I need to beat this poor dead horse again.
The Becker Grand Prix radio died several years ago in the 1987 300E my 86-year-old mother pokes around town in. The inner amplifier was
staying on and running down the battery, so I just disconnected the power. I now get bored with no radio when I drive for a 100 mile round trip once a month or so to "clean" the sparkplugs.
Can anyone suggest a "simple" radio replacement with an easy to find on-off button and station preset buttons? My trips to the local Circuit City type stores are quite intimiding with mini-television screens, remote controls, removeable faceplates, etc. that require a degree in computer science to operate.
What looks decent in the car? Any Blaupunkt models? Is Alpine still considered a better yet realisticly priced upgrade? I recall here was some website back East that sold radios with an electrical pigtail to hook into the exisitng MB wiring for the Becker that was on this list several years back.
I will only listen to it about once a month so I just want something that will pick up local radio stations. No "sound system with multi amplifiers and a trunk full of woofers" just to listen to Rush Limbaugh or Loveline.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Pete Cowper Visalia, California
Try Crutchfield at:
www.crutchfield.com
They are the ones you may be recalling about the pigtails also.
Joe

Go to one of the places like Car Toys that specializes in car stereo. I like all the Pioneer stuff.....you can get a great sounding unit that looks like a factory fit in your dash, installed for under $200. Pioneer has excellent CD and FM sound and their AM has the best selectivity (that's long range pulling power) of any of the good brands. You'll need a good AM radio if you are going to listen to sports or talk radio. The speciality shops do hundreds of intalls a week and these guys are fast and good at what they do. Try Car Toys first. ____________________________________________

at crutchfield you can type in the year, brand and model of your car and they will tell you what they have to replace it with.....also you can get their advice via e-mail - tell them what you told us and they will make an economical recommendation.....

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML> I just went to Sam's and picked up a Blaupunkt M3000(I think that was model number) for $80 and my son installed in in about 1 hour. It works <U>great</U>, better than original 190e radio. I'm happy with it. I think I saw several Sony's at Wal Mart for $100 to $130 that were similar. <BR>Good luck, <BR>Tom Dean <P>Pete Cowper wrote:<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I need to beat this poor dead horse again. <P>The Becker Grand Prix radio died several years ago in the 1987 300Emy <BR>86-year-old mother pokes around town in.&nbsp; The inner amplifierwas <BR>staying on and running down the battery, so I just disconnected the <BR>power.&nbsp; I now get bored with no radio when I drive for a 100 mileround <BR>trip once a month or so to "clean" the sparkplugs. <P>Can anyone suggest a "simple" radio replacement with an easy to find <BR>on-off button and station preset buttons?&nbsp; My trips to the localCircuit <BR>City type stores are quite intimiding with mini-television screens, <BR>remote controls, removeable faceplates, etc. that require a degreein <BR>computer science to operate. <P>What looks decent in the car?&nbsp; Any Blaupunkt models?&nbsp; Is Alpinestill <BR>considered a better yet realisticly priced upgrade?&nbsp; I recallhere was <BR>some website back East that sold radios with an electrical pigtailto <BR>hook into the exisitng MB wiring for the Becker that was on this list <BR>several years back. <P>I will only listen to it about once a month so I just want something <BR>that will pick up local radio stations.&nbsp; No "sound system withmulti <BR>amplifiers and a trunk full of woofers" just to listen to Rush Limbaugh <BR>or Loveline. <P>Any suggestions appreciated. <P>Pete Cowper <BR>Visalia, California</BLOCKQUOTE></HTML>
Don't listen to Circuit City. Your antiquated Grand Prix can be easily removed and replaced with any aftermarket CD heat unit. The new head unit will have a four ohm feed to the speakers so replace them at the same time with four ohm coaxials, 4" front and 5.25" rear. Most audio heads would definitely not use the o.e. wires which go to the dirt-collecting fader on the console, but use new wires from the head unit toeach speaker. P.