300E Replacement Radio

I need to beat this poor dead horse again.

The Becker Grand Prix radio died several years ago in the 1987 300E my

86-year-old mother pokes around town in. The inner amplifier was staying on and running down the battery, so I just disconnected the power. I now get bored with no radio when I drive for a 100 mile round trip once a month or so to "clean" the sparkplugs.

Can anyone suggest a "simple" radio replacement with an easy to find on-off button and station preset buttons? My trips to the local Circuit City type stores are quite intimiding with mini-television screens, remote controls, removeable faceplates, etc. that require a degree in computer science to operate.

What looks decent in the car? Any Blaupunkt models? Is Alpine still considered a better yet realisticly priced upgrade? I recall here was some website back East that sold radios with an electrical pigtail to hook into the exisitng MB wiring for the Becker that was on this list several years back.

I will only listen to it about once a month so I just want something that will pick up local radio stations. No "sound system with multi amplifiers and a trunk full of woofers" just to listen to Rush Limbaugh or Loveline.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Pete Cowper Visalia, California

Reply to
Pete Cowper

Try Crutchfield at:

They are the ones you may be recalling about the pigtails also.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Rutledge

Reply to
Rockman59

at crutchfield you can type in the year, brand and model of your car and they will tell you what they have to replace it with.....also you can get their advice via e-mail - tell them what you told us and they will make an economical recommendation.....

Reply to
sherman barnes

I just went to Sam's and picked up a Blaupunkt M3000(I think that was model number) for $80 and my son installed in in about 1 hour. It works great, better than original 190e radio. I'm happy with it. I think I saw several Sony's at Wal Mart for $100 to $130 that were similar. Good luck, Tom Dean Pete Cowper wrote: I need to beat this poor dead horse again. The Becker Grand Prix radio died several years ago in the 1987 300E my

[...]
Tom Dean

Don't listen to Circuit City. Your antiquated Grand Prix can be easily removed and replaced with any aftermarket CD heat unit. The new head unit will have a four ohm feed to the speakers so replace them at the same time with four ohm coaxials, 4" front and 5.25" rear. Most audio heads would definitely not use the o.e. wires which go to the dirt-collecting fader on the console, but use new wires from the head unit toeach speaker. P.

Reply to
Peter Klein