Becker Grand Prix Security Code

The guy I bought my SDL from replaced the car's original Becker Grand Prix radio with an aftermarket Alpine unit (gotta have that CD player). Fortunately, he gave me the Becker when I bought the car. I despise the Alpine and would like to reinstall the Becker. The Grand Prix may not have the world's greatest sound quality, but I love the controls since they're so easy to operate by touch.

Unfortunately, these radios lock up when power is removed from them, and I don't have the security code. I suppose most shops would refuse to even try to track the code down, in case the unit were stolen. My local Mercedes dealership will look it up. But as I learned with my previous car's radio, they charge $20 -- for less than a minute's worth of keyboard work. That chaps my hide.

What are my alternatives?

Thanks, Geoff

-- "Dead kittens hanging on meat hooks in corners Old ladies falling down staircases forwards Children depriving the flies of their wings These are a few of my favorite things" -- John Lagrave

Reply to
Geoff Miller

If you got a buddy in detailing business or auto service business who fixes MB... and have good relationship with MB dealer... they maybe able to get the code for free... sort of ooops factor thing.

Reply to
Tiger

Actually code generators for Becker radios are widely available, hardly an issue for the thief.

Did you post a valid email address? Perhaps somebody could help, at least if you provide decent proof of ownership, whatever adds value through email.

Reply to
Me

Hey Geoff, you are very likely to have gotten a little black leather/vinyl packet containing information about the car... service km's, operation manual (simple) radio brochure, etc. along with the '24hr Service phone #' you will very likely also find the radio code you are looking for... the previous owner would surely have written them down..... just in case.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I googled for this and came up with a couple. Check out

In reality, though, what's $20 compared to the overall cost of owning and operating your Mercedes?

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Whenever I take my car in to the dealer for service, the work order is generated with the radio code on it, I assume as a convenience for the service techs in case they need it... Maybe you already have it in file, if you've taken the car to a dealer ...

Reply to
Andrew W. Frank

Does the radio say CODE or have dash lines when you power it up?

If it says CODE, email me the radio serial number. I can get you the code.

Reply to
Karl