4.2 litre rebuid prob

I am getting my 4.2 L motor professionally totally rebuilt. When the block returned to the shop from the machine shop, they were told there was a small "scour" on one cylinder wall. My mechanic thinks it should still be o.k., he had a visual, but another option he said was to buy oversized pistons (too pricey). He recommended to hone the wall and press a sleeve into it. Does this make sense, and is it right? I am concerned about metallurgical probs here, although the sleeve is made by Mercedes. Anyone familiar with this?
Thanks, Tony...

returned to the shop from the machine shop, they were told there was a small "scour" on one cylinder wall.

That used to be standard practice on the very old days . Some high performance motor made of magnesium use to have sleeves . Peugeot 203 also, had them . It was the head gasket that kept them in place but the block was designed to accept them.
What has that to do with my question at all? I find it totally irrelevant.

It's OK to sleeve any engine.
As long as it's done by a reputable machine shop.
RK

I'm pretty sure many engines have sleeves from the factory. Aluminum block engines use iron sleeves or steel sleeves (can't recall which one) since aluminum is so soft. As long as it is done properly, it is fine. It must be a snug fit so it transfers heat to the old cylinder wall well, but I'm sure that a machine shop can handle it.
Bill

It has a lot to do with your question. I drove a Peugeot with sleeves and never had any problem. The high compression and the soft aluminum head would push the spark plugs out of it's sockets but NO PROBLEM WITH THE FACTORY INSTALED SLEEVES.

I now have the motor installed. The cylinder wall "scour" is all o.k., very slight, and will not hurt the rings. Problem now is there is a "miss" in the engine. All rebuilt - timing chain, valves, guides, camshafts, rings, seals, gaskets, heads, etc. My mechanic thinks there might be a problem on one set of valves, he is installing a new set today. On that cylinder, there is no measured compression due to a probable valve "shim" problem, but all is perfect on the leak down test so the bottom of the motor is alright for sure. Where do we go from here? Any suggestions? Regards, Tony Pike.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I am getting my 4.2&nbsp;L&nbsp;motor professionally totally rebuilt. When the block returned to the shop from the machine shop, they were told there was a small "scour" on one cylinder wall. My mechanic thinks it should still be o.k., he had a visual, but another option he said was to buy oversized pistons (too pricey). He recommended to hone the wall and press a sleeve into it. Does this make sense, and is it right? I am concerned about metallurgical probs here, although the sleeve is made by Mercedes. Anyone familiar with this?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks, Tony...</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
A valve is probably not closing, but why??
--

2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
I believe they use shims, and they were installed improperly? They did a "leak down" test, I never heard of this before. On all cylinders, they remove the spark plugs and perform a pressure test, all check out fine. BUT, the compression test failed completely on one cylinder - showing that the valves were not operating correctly. When I find out what happened, I will repost to share the knowledge. They rebuilt a Dodge Intrepid for $2,000.00 and no problem. My motor is now in the neibourhood of $7,300.00 , and I hope all will be good. My mechanic told me a new factory motor is $17,000.00 AND a typical rebuilt motor would be $10,000.00 . He claims he has lost on this deal already... Regards, Tony Pike. "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote in message

Don't believe those prices... just check with Metric Motors or Noel Mercedes in FL for the current price.
O.K., but I live in Calgary, Alberta. I seem to think they might be in line? I will check to see if they have a website. Will keep everyone informed...

I did check online and it seems most places want $8,000.00 to rebuild the 4.2 litre, but that does not include engine removal, crating, shipping and reinstallation. Correct me if I'm wrong.