A6 2.7T, 4.2 problems (recalls) vs. overall experience

I am in the market for an A6 2.7T or 4.2, and have read many posts concerning the recalls and ownership dissatisfaction issues.

I can understand mfg. have recalls for problems arising beyond their foresight, but when these problems are not addressed sympathetically from the dealers' service depts. -- anger heightens.

Please respond with accounts, remedies, opinions and mostly advice pertaining to a would-be new Audi enthusiast's initial Audi purchase.

FYI, I have been driving Nissans for 12 years now, with the last 7 in a 1994 300ZX Twin Turbo (410hp). I need to migrate to a "more sedate" family vehicle and believe I have found my niche with the sportier A6 Audis.

-- AG,

-- Philadelphia, PA

Reply to
xziler8

I owned a 2000 A6 4.2. It was the best car I've ever owned until I bought my RS6. The A6 4.2 performed perfectly with no complaints. It had one recall (can't remember for what), but it was addressed at the next Audi check-up. I changed the oil every 3-4K miles in addition to the normal Audi maintenance.

My son-in-law is now driving it, while his son is driving my old 94 S4 also sold to my son-in-law.

Click on "About Cars" at my website.

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

Duh, here's my website:

Dave LaCourse

I have been driving Audis (only) since 1996, with only one issue which required an unscheduled visit to the workshop - in 1999. My last car was an A6 2.7T, an my current one is an RS6. I have no concerns or dissatisfaction.

Reply to
Peter Bell

I love my S4. I have friends with A6 4.2, 2.7TT, and even a 2.8, and they loved their cars. I don't know anyone who doesn't love their Audis.

Just lucky, I guess.

Which, wrt your question, is pretty much the name of the game, eh?

/daytripper '00 S4 6spd

daytripper

I have had endless quality issues with a 2003 2.7T A6. Too numerous to recount. Virtually all of the problems handled with utter and total incompetence by the local dealer. Many instances of parts being replaced with equally defective "new" parts.

It took 12 months and 19 dealer trips to solve most issues.

Still have remotes whose batteries die in 4-5 weeks. Been replaced with equally defective new remotes once already. I gave up.

The car drives like a dream when it is running properly. In my opinion, it is a major risk buying an Audi. You must be willing to accept frustrating problems if you buy one in my opinion.

DFE

Reply to
DFE

I believe you are in a very small minority. I've been driving Quattros since they first came out in the 80s and I have had a minimum of problems, and only ones you would expect (brakes, belt changes, etc.) In fact, I won't buy anything BUT Audi Quattros.

I know of friends who have been frustrated with BMWs, Chevys, and Jags. It's the nature of the beast. Some will bound to give you problems. Dave

Dave LaCourse

I have many friends who feel the same way as you do about Audis.

Consumer reports rates them very low for reliability issues when compared to other luxury cars. All my friends rate them highly.

I went with my friends, but in my case the collective experience of Consumer Reports was correct.

While I'll grant you I had a "lemon", there is no question the dealer in my area is laughably incompetent. There is also no question they replaced many parts with equally defective "new" parts. As an example, I have had a total of six key fob remotes none of which hold a battery charge much longer than a month before the battery must be replaced. There is no way that this is due to chance alone.

As always, your mileage may vary.

DFE

Reply to
DFE

I wouldn't think it would be. How do you carry your keys? Perhaps you are inadvertently keying it while it is in your pocket. I've had key fobs for three different Audi's and have never had that problem. Dave

Dave LaCourse

Likewise - I've never had to replace a key fob battery. However, I've not kept one Audi more than 3.5 years, but that does indicate a battery life in excess of 40 months.

It seems incredible that one person should be so 'unlucky' - it is possible that some 'environmental' factor is causing the problem.

Reply to
Peter Bell

I can't understand how my remote battery is still going strong after six years of never having been replaced.

JP

"DFE" escribió en el mensaje news:CxzYb.367$f23.133@lakeread02...

Reply to
JP Roberts

I have owned my 2001 A6 4.2 now for a little over two years. It currently has about 37,000 miles. In the period of my ownership it has been in the shop for the following problems: radio replacement x2 Key Fob replacement (broke in half) x 1 Steering wheel leather delamination x 1 rear retractable sunscreen malfunction x 2 dash cupholder replacement x 1 hesitation at 3,000 RPM on hard acceleration x 7 (two separate dealers) Drivers door latch replacement x1 The best features of this car are the styling and the winter performance - I drive all year long on all season tires. It is not the best handling car I have ever driven or the quickest and gets about 18-19 mpg - It sucks down the gas. I might buy another Audi if Lexus doesn't come out with an AWD sport sedan with better styling first.

Reply to
Felix