560 SEL suspension conversion

Do you know if its possible to convert the 1990 560 SEL rear suspension to a standard suspension with shocks instead of the existing automatic leveling system?

Henk

Reply to
Henk

Why would you want to defeat it?

standard suspension with shocks instead of the existing automatic leveling system?

Reply to
JPF

Mostly because of the cost of the replacement shocks. They are far more expensive than they need to be I figure. Of course I'm open to reasonably priced shocks if available somewhere. I'm in Toronto so if you can advise me where I can find reasonably priced shocks I'd appreciate it. My car sounds like its going down a washboard road most of the time and its very irritating.

Thanks, Henry

to a standard suspension with shocks instead of the existing automatic leveling system?

Reply to
Henk

What's wrong with the shocks? They're pretty sturdy, and don't usually leak much. If the damping sucks and the ride is bad, the air cells get replaced, not the shocks. I see many people foolishly replace shocks on Jags, Rolls, BMW and MB's when all they need is a very inexpensive nitrogen ball.

Reply to
JPF

If the damping sucks and the ride is bad, the air cells get replaced, not the shocks __________________________________________ Good advice...the shocks on the air models are probably not the problem here.

Reply to
Rockman59

"Rockman59" hat in Betrag news:fMgkb.172038$% h1.164776@sccrnsc02 dies gedichtet:

I think you are referring to the hydropneumatic suspension made by french manufacturer Citroen. This suspension system was available with some upper class Mercedes cars, and it does not have separate shocks. All you exchange are the suspension bowls. One bowl is about 70$, exchange of all bowls is about one hour labor. These are the figures quoted by Citroen (don't know how much Mercedes charges you).

I currently own such a Citroen, and while you can argue about the overall quality of this brand, the suspension system is really outstanding.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Yes, it's possible to replace the 560 SEL suspension with one from the 420 ( air to liquid, essentially). Many shops do this due the the expense of replacing the 560's suspension when it goes.

Reply to
JAZZIMA

Suggest YOU learn about this rear suspension and crawl under the car to see it first hand. It's not all that complicated and if YOU understand how it works its repair costs are not bad. BUT if YOU allow some shop to sell you a "replace everything" repair it will be painfully expensive.

Engine driven hydraulic pump provides the push. Special, expensive, hydraulic fluid transmits power to the rear axle. Leveling valve adjusts the car's rear height. Nitrogen spheres (break and need replacement) are the "helper springs". In principle those are its components, a similar suspension is also used by the TD/TE station wagons.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach