82 W123 D starter?

I tried to start my car today, after driving for about an hour. I heard "Click" and nothing, it did this several times, and I couldn't start it for about 1 hour and 100 times trying to start it. (I didn't try it non stop, I went and ate lunch, etc.) Eventually, it did start. This has happened before, but only took 2-3 times before the car started. IS my starter going going goin...?

Darrell

Reply to
Frank Burns

Sounds like it but should be tested before being replaced. Use ONLY a Bosch rebuilt (i.e. rebuilt by Bosch) not a brand-x rebuilt. Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

A 1920s Rolls manual put it best, "Judicious use of the hammer may facilitate starting" The starter will work again when it cools down and there may be a number of reasons.

The coil is failing The brushes are fouled, sticking or worn out The solenoid is sticking The starter is getting too hot from a missing heat shield or leaking exhaust The cable connection is corroded at either the solenoid or battery The battery is weak The ground cable for the engine has corroded or is not making good contact

Suggestions in order;

Clean the battery connections Check the connection at the solenoid Check the engine ground cable Check the battery for cranking amps If no problems are found, it may be time to pull the starter and clean or replace the brushes jj

Reply to
Jeremy

i got three years out of one autozone starter, and thats with a lot of cranking when the glow plugs were not working,they replaced it for free. they said they were losing money on me because this was the second or third one. but they have to honer the warranty.

Reply to
Islandguy77554

About 20K miles ago, when my car only had 340K miles on her, I thought about replacing the starter after she was doing the same thing. Click , click , click, especially during wet weather. It turned out to be a bad ground wire, I believe, as I redid the ground cable from the battery to a healthier spot for it, and have not heard a click since. I would always suspect wiring before a bad component, although they do go bad occasionaly. Good Luck, Jim

Reply to
Jim