How to start a car without starter. Is it possible to do?

How to start a car without starter. Is it possible to do? Expert will say, probably, yes! Just insert the key, turn the transmission on and push the car. I thought so until recently when starter was broken. In my experience it worked OK with old cars (60-70th), but with automatic transmission which I have on Nissan Sentra 1995 it does NOT work! And I'm wondering why? How know the secret of starting a car with automatic transmission, when a starter does not work please advise!

Reply to
gen

I've never known this to work with an automatic transmission. In fact, you'll probably ruin the tranny if you try it too often.

Reply to
ppointer

You need to buy a hand cranker... and crank

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I don't think it is possible as the pump is driven off the input shaft. Without the engine side of the trans turning, no pressure will be produced to lock the bands or clutch packs. As such, there will be no connection from the halfshafts to the engine. Maybe you can stick an impact wrench on the crank pulley or maybe you could just fix it!

Reply to
Rob Munach

I have seen reports that old 2 speed autos had a pump on the output shaft too. So you could start them by bumping. Cost cutting meant the spare pump had to go.

Peter Hill

Why you replace the starter of course.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

The 1964 Ford Comet 2 speed automatic (aka slip and slide) could be push started.

Reply to
tomcas

Reply to
john smith