85 300SD: how to get inner door panel off?

THe rear door window glass has become disconnected somehow from the arm that drives it up and down, so it was just falling down all the way. I had to open up the door to prop up the window glass with a stick as a temp repair.
I could not figure out how to get the inner door panel ALL the way off, which I will need to do in order to repair it. I am stuck on how the door release handle comes off. Something on this mechanism was holding the panel, while I had it released everywhere else. There are no screws of any kind, and I was sure that if I pried any harder on the wood-grained escutcheon.trim around the release handle, I would end up breaking the escutcheon or release mechanism..
There is a plastic sleeve that covering that screw in the latch area... you need a tiny screwdriver to pop that cover off.
You basically need a new plastic regulator... like $9 at the dealer... very common to go bad due to age.

How hard is it to replace the plastic regulator? Do you have to remove the window assembly?
Not hard at all... take door panel off... then three nuts to remove the window motor/regulator... leave glass in the door...
The only thing you need to watch out when you peen over the new regulator is... the right side where the regulator should be and a spacer on the opposite side where you are going to peen so you don't crush the new regulator.

The windows on our '85 300D make a harsh mechanical noise when about 1/2 way - We have just been using them from 1/2 up to full up. They will go all the way down, but it doesn't sound good!
Before I take it all apart, any ideas as to what could be causing the noise - It happens on both front windows.
Grinding noise... I would say the regulator gear... Clunking is regulator slider.

Tiger, where the hell did you learn all this stuff?
I don't just learn it... hehehe... Anything about car and something I don't know yet, I'd get into it... It's fun!

I figure Tiger has a fleet of varous Mercedes models which he takes apart regulary just to keep this list satisfied.
Marty
Close enough!