'85 300SD: very loud valve noise!

This car wasn't very quiet when we got it around two years ago, but now the valve"tapping" noises are so loud that I can hear my wife coming when shes'
still two blocks away (maybe a slight exaggeration). The exhaust system is fine, its just the valves. The engine seems to be as peppy as at first with acceleration, and I had the valves adjusted not long ago. It sounds like it is just a couple of the valves that are loud, one especially. Does this require an expensive top-engine overhaul? New rocker arms, or the valves themselves?
should have mentioned that the mileage on the engine is around 250K.

the
shes'
with
FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

is
rocker
That car you got... I think up to 88... I may be wrong here... needs valve adjustment every year. When is the last time the valves are adjusted?
Yea, I know the 85 needs regular valve adjustment. As I said, the valves were adjusted recently, maybe a half-year ago, probably haven't put over 4000 miles on it since. Why? Are noisy, clattering valves a symptom of out -of-adjustment valves? It was about as noisy before the last valve adjustment as afterward, and the mechanic said that the adjustment was "pretty close as is".

You might consider the possibility that the source of the noise isn't the valves, but an exhaust leak.
My '82 300CD was rather noisy when I bought it, so the first thing I did was have the valves adjusted. No change. A previous vehicle of mine, a Toyota pickup, developed the same sort of noise, and the cause turned out to be a warped exhaust manifold. The manifold had pulled away from the engine block, allowing pulses of exhaust gas to escape. The noise was more of a mechanical clicking sound than the sort of gaseous chuffing that one would expect.
Geoff
--
"One violation is rude; repeated violations are best dealt
with by knocking the front teeth down the esophagus --

The speed that we can rotate an engine by hand is so slow that compression isn't a factor - at all!
I turn my engine by putting a ratchet onto the power steering pulley's nut and turning it that way. A ratchet ensures only turning in the correct rotation direction.
To adjust the valves one needs two thin 14 mm open end wrenches. The special offset wrenches are preferable but I've been able to get by using straight Sears Craftsman wrenches. The TOP or cap nut is the adjustment the lower nut is the lock nut.
I can send you detailed instructions.

Could it also be a worn small-end bearing? That's what happened to our engine. Sounded just like valve noise but very loud.