Very loud and expensive sounding Freelander noise

Hi All,

Tha old freelander developed a rather nasty noise today. Its like a repeated metal on metel clanging noise. The noise is most noticable at idle. and goes quiet at about 1300 rpm.

The noise appears to be coming from the timing chain end of the engine.

There are no other symptoms that i have noticed.

Does anyone have any idea what the noisy may be...nothinf to do with the timing chain i hope os i have to go into 45 mins into london first thing in the morning and then 3 hours home.

Thanks

Reply to
Vertuas

Sorry, forgot to mention its a TD4

Reply to
Vertuas

Has the TD4 engine cover been removed recently. If it has and the bolts (which are different lengths) were replaced in the wrong position then these will/can be 'clattered' by the camshaft (nice design). Result, camshaft cover will eventually crack. If the cover hasn't been removed within the last few days then I reckon you can forget that possible scenario.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Had this noise twice with the RR Classic: once was the four wheel drive diff (it had actually been a two wheel drive for longer than I realised!) and once was a drive shaft problem.

Colin

Reply to
Colin "Jay" Jackson

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Richard.. the cam cover hasn't been off. Thanks for the suggestion.

Colin..THe noise is from the engine itself, on the timing end. Thanks anyway.

I borred a tranny van to get into london and took the freelander to the garage round the corner where the guy helpfully told me "Its internal mate, get it recovered to Landrover". He said it would be timing chain/tensioner or a lifter thats colapsed.

The RAC came out and the man in the van couldn't tell what it was. He listen using his screwdriver as a stethoscope......most noise on the fuel rail. Discoverede there a metal on metal noise as you start it and as you turn it of...kind like a relay switching but louder and not a relay :o).

Anyway I saved a fortune in diesel by getting back to yorkhire playing piggy back on a recovey truck as the RAC bloke said its not worth risking it.

They gonna come get it and take it to the garage once i've sorted somewhere for it to go.

Will keep you all updated.

Thanks

Reply to
Vertuas