'92 300D fuel economy

Should I expect better than 29-31 mpg? It got as low as 24 when the waste gate wasn't closing.

EPA is 28 City and 35 highway... so you get the general idea what it shoudl be. I'd recommends you put Startron in the fuel tank... it takes about a couple of weeks before you notice major difference.
Tiger wrote:

Is it that much better than Red Line diesel catalyst or do they perform different functions?
JD

Just to back up Tiger's suggestion. Startron is a fuel enzyme treatment that get rid of fungus (algae, mold, etc.) in your fuel system. It also treats conditions the fuel. I actually saw a advertisement for it in a boating magazine the other day talking of its properties for fuel stability when wintering boats. It also mentioned something that I didn't really think about. It has the lowest recommended dosing for any fuel treatment. 1oz per 10 gallons. Of course, it also has the highest price (maybe not highest, but pretty high) per ounce. I got an 8oz bottle for $20 shipped. It has lasted me somewhere around a month and I still have some left. Does it work? I can't really tell a major difference in mileage, but the engine does seem more responsive. I say try it.
I bought one Quart for $45, still have 97% left in the bottle. Want to buy it from me?
I will sell it for $35 + shipping. Email me at cams18 @ hotmail.com

You were severely ripped off; I bought a pint today for $16, the quart was even less by unit cost.
JD
Cam wrote:

Where did you get your rating from? Here is the fact for new vehicle:
Fuel Type Diesel MPG (city) 23 MPG (highway) 29 MPG (combined) 25 Fuel Economics Cost to Drive 25 Miles $2.80 Fuel to Drive 25 Miles 1.00 gal Annual Fuel Cost $1734
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/8918.shtml

You know what? I remembered like 2 years ago... when I first bought my 95 E300D... I remembered 27 and 35 rating... same for 1996 to 1999 E300D and TD... but now I see different numbers... much lower... I wondered why and if there is any conspiracy involved...
My previous owner gave me the original window sticker... don't know if I still have it... would say 27/35...