alternator problem

I've got a 1980 280 se with a 1985 body style. The alternator has a male adapter but no wire to go to it. As a result, the battery stays dead as it's not recharged and it loses power and stalls, needing to be jumped. I
can add the wire if any one could tell me where this wire goes. Please help!!!!!
Not sure of the wire, but I would double-check the belt. I recently had a problem with dead battery, but finally traced it down to a lousy alt. belt which was slighlty slipping and not fully charging battery. It was hard to tell if it was slipping by just observing it. I bought a more expensive "gator-back" belt. Problem solved.