Autoelectrics problem MB C320

Page 3 of 3
x_d wrote:

Gotta love all these clever computers in cars.

$4000 to fix the problem sounds like a lot of money, but compared to the price of the car, it seems normal to me, for a prestige car. What did that one cost new? $100k? It's also an economies of scale thing, IMHO.
Keep that in mind when comparing it to the WRX.
--
Ben
Lyric of the week: "So all you fly mothers, get on out there and dance.
Ben Thomas wrote:

The C320 was $100k new. However, Mercedes-Benz do have lower spec models starting from high $50ks. I have checked the Mercedes-Benz website, and these models also have ABS, ESP, BAS, which means that they also share the same part has gone faulty (or maybe not given that I will be checking out the battery theory) in my car. I can't imagine how an owner of a $50+ car would feel with a $4000 repair bill.
$100k sounds a lot for a car, but all the luxury features do cost money to put together, though for this particular model, the premium charged seemed to be more in the spirit of the engine size/engineering. "Wheels" mag certainly questions the value of this particular model (compared to lower spec models) and frankly, I personally agree.
In any case, although I realise that the cost of R&D into these technologies need to be recuperated, the cost of manufacturing a PCB with a few chips on it can't be that high.
Cheers.