Battery And little wire

I have a 1980 240d.
I do not drive very much and this is a just "get around town " car.
The problem is that the battery connection has an excessive amount of
corrosion on the terminal. And stops the car for a jump every 6 months or so. There is a little wire that comes out of the lead connection to the battery. Probably a 12v connector wire. The only thing that runs when the car is off is the clock. Which I don't care about.
If I cut this wire will the corrosion end? Or got and good anti-corrosion stuff I can put on the terminal. The red and green rings of velt do nothing.
Thanks in advance, Bob

sensing wire for the charging circuit. As regards the corrosion, what form does it take? If it is "fluffy blue crystals", then it is very likely that the battery is cracked around the terminal, and what you are seeing is copper sulphate. You could try cleaning it very carefully and then using a proprietary sealant, or you could just get a new battery. Good luck DD
i would just pour a coke or pepsi on the terminals once a month been careful not to get it in the battery.
it will also keep the tray from rusting flush with water when done.
the case, minus a few cans!
The Coke has acid and will work I guess, but Pepsi probably will not do anything as it is a much more human-friendly drink without acids. You could just clean the terminals very thoroughly and then put some vasoline on them. But that really does not happen on most cars I have driven. So perhaps the battery is leaking.
mcbrue pepsily under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:13:05 -0400 (EDT) snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN) wrote:

Spray insect killers also...
Helar
What ever happened to using baking soda? That is if the cause is from actual battery acid.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:51:08 GMT, "James Collins"

Just grease the terminals
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk