BMW 750il versus Mercedes 560SEL

I'm curious if anyone has compared a BMW 750il to a Mercedes 560 SEL. Which one did you like the best? Why?
I'm looking at buying one or the other in the next few months. I need
a very big, luxurious sedan that absolutely silences road noise.
I need it for less than $10,000.
Opinions anyone?
Thanks!
Andy Sutorius www.sutorius.com

The big Beemer ages a lot less gracefully (and more expensively) than the 560.

cars are nice but somewhat high maintenance in their later years, especially the 12-cylinder in the Bimmer. I found the MBZ was the better luxury car in terms of road noise and comfort (seating position and so on), while the 750il was the better driver's car. I've pretty much decided on the Mercedes (a 1992-1993 500SEL, black or silver, with FSH and under 100k) but I'm tempted by the mid-90s 740il.     Emanuel
--
http://home.att.net/~epbrown01/1966-rolls.jpg
http://home.att.net/~epbrown01/1983-porsche.jpg

Richard,
Ok...let's say I didn't mention anything about my budget, why would you pick MBZ?
Thanks!

The 560 SEL is the better car. And you might be able to get one for $10K but if you want a real creampuff with papers you will probably have to pay several thousand more. But it would be worth it. When you get a used MB you need to know what type of service it has had. Repairs on both the MB and BMW are not cheap. The cars that have been maintained to factory specs will certainly run better and cost much less to keep on the road.

$6000-$8000 in my area.

Maybe it's just where I live that they are expensive. Around here I see 560's in the paper in the 15-19k USD range. And forget about a 560SEC unless you want to spend around 24k. My crappy area. Richard
Until recently (recently beginning in 1992), Benz was building far better cars than BMW. I don't know if BMW was doing this, but until 1992, Benz would build a car then price it, not the other way around. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ The last well-built MBs were the 1991 420/560 S series if you are looking for a big sedan. 1992 was when quality started to slide as the marketing department too over.
Rockman59 wrote:

Agreed. It's also the last year they looked like what an S-class should look, IMO. They've become increasingly generic-looking since then.
My next car will be a black '91 350SDL. It might well be my last car...
bp

YOU MIGHT WANT TO INVESTIGATE THAT ENGINE, IT HAS A BAD REPUTATION FOR CRACKED BLOACKS AND OTHER PROBLEMS. THE WORST DIESEL MB MADE.
I hate it when the "BLOACK" cracks!