560SL - 560SEL - 560 SEC, engine compatibility ?

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a 1987 560SL that has a bad engine that I plan to pull and replace with a good used one. Is there a large difference between the engines in the various "560" models ? In particular, I am curious what compatibility issues I might run into if I were, for example, to acquire a good engine from a 560SEL ?

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to
BLH

No problem if you use your SL motor mount arms.

The SL arms are 116 223 46 04 L and 47 04 R The SEL arms are 116 223 54 04 L and 55 04 R

Reply to
Karl

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the detailed info ! So, can I assume that virtually everything else is the same ? I was thinking that the 560SL might have a higher performance version of the engine, but I guess not ?

Thanks,

Brian Karl wrote:

Reply to
BLH

Nope... same engine as any 560SEL.

Reply to
Tiger

What are the differences between the 380 and 560 engines. Can you easily put a 560 into a 380 SL?

Chip

Reply to
Chip

The SL engine is a 117.967 The SEL engine is a 117.968 Both are rated at 238 HP @ 4800 and 287 ft-lbs Torque @ 3500. Both are 9:1 ratio.

Go here:

and scroll down to see thedifferences in parts. And yes, you will need to swap oil pans also.

Reply to
Karl
560 engine is much newer than 380 engine... different electronics. If you have a complete donor car, you can swap out everything. Labor intensive though.

Other than that, everything should mounts right up.. There is also another issue with the rear end differential gear ratio... with this 560 engine, it would reach 60 real fast.

It is easier just to buy a 560SL if you really love the body style.

Reply to
Tiger