Climate control servo for 300SD

Here we go again. Time to replace the climate control servo in my 1980 300SD, which is leaking. So, I was wondering if others have any experience with the unit from Performance Analysis/George Murphy.
It's the aluminum rebuilt unit for $595, with a one yr guarantee and $95 thereafter to fix.
The other alternative appear to be one from German Star, which is $365. I haven't looked into this, but assume it's a regular one. All the rest are about $900 and are just the regular unit.
I guess I've been doing ok, mine has only been replaced twice before. The first time it was cracked and leaking. Second one, just seized up. The one I'm replacing now I managed to save over a year ago. After much time and effort I figured out the feedback potentiometer inside had a dirty spot that didn't allow it to go all the way to max cooling. I sprayed some contact cleaner in it which solved it and was doing ok again till recently, when it started leaking. I've averaged 8 years a unit, which I know is pretty damn good. Of course the fact that the car only has 100K miles certainly has helped.
I've accumulated quite a bit of experience with this whole damn climate control system, so if any others have any questions, I may be able to help too.
Chet
I got a regular $229 unit couple of years ago and have had no trouble. I don't think the aluminum ones are worth it.
at 02:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) said:

Fred Emmerich