Dual ignation parts

Can anyone tell me in simple terms what the advantage is to having 2 of everything in the ignition system in my E420? For example, what makes 2 4-position distributor caps better than one 8-position? I
figure the MB engineers must have a good reason. I'd just like to know what it is.
It is just overkill. You don't really need two of everything to make a low performance engine run good. It is just more stuff to go bad. It is like having the two spark plugs in each cylinder head in the V-8s. C'mon, we are not talking Indy-like performance here. But MB builds 'em that way. You take it or leave it. ___________________________________________

In an emergency, the engine will revert to 4 cylinders, enough to get you to a safe place. Low -performance? More like hi-technology..