ECT

I have an SL500 '97. Can anybody tell me about the ECT? My check engine light came on and the dealer ($90) tells me that I need an engine control temperature module......... My temp gage reads
low.........the heater works OK, but the temp gage reads low.... This thing costs $40 and then we add on the labor.....
ECT means Engine Coolant Temp sensor.
BEFORE you replace it or a control module at $40 ?!? do yourself a favor and replace the engine thermostat.
If the thermostat is sticking open, then the engine does not warm up to its operating temp quick enough and it will trigger a fault code for the ECT. This usually comes under the sub-heading of 'implausible signal'. The signal is there, just out of its operating parameters.
Implausible means you are getting a signal but the parameters are off. Open or shorted means the sensor or wiring is open or shorted.

Karl wrote:

Noticed recently that my temp gauge ('81 380 SL) is staying well below 1/2. This summer it was at 1/2 or slightly above. It is about 60F now, but summer about 110F. Since I am driving the same way is the diff in the ambient temp enough to cause this change?
Chip
What numbers are near the 1/2 way point? It should at least be at the 175F or 90C mark. If not, your thermostat is stuck open.

and
its
ECT.
As Karl said, it should be at the lowest 80C in winter and normally hovers around 90C. If the thermostat is really bad, on highway in this winter weather, you will see the temperature drops down real low... like 60C.
If that is so, your thermostat is definitely bad.

I changed the thermostat on my SL500. It was a real bitch.......no room for tools. I found the thermostat with a piece of junk caught in it.........holding it half way open...... Thanks for the suggestion of changing it........

I changed the thermostat on my SL500. It was a real bitch.......no room for tools. I found the thermostat with a piece of junk caught in it.........holding it half way open...... Thanks for the suggestion of changing it........
This can also cause it to run too rich because the emissions is fooled into thinking the car is never warmed up.