Fifth Gear beats up a W124

A torture test on a W124 'estate' and it comes up smelling like a rose, despite the "colossal" mileage on the 'clock', 165k miles.

--
John Mauel
'94 E320 with a near colossal 210k kms

I forgot the link. Smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bIV_hHPAFQ&mode=related&search
Now, where did I leave my '94 E320?
Mmm... what a shame they did to that nice car... Still the door shuts perfectly!
Tiger wrote:

The explosions all seem fake to my non-military eye. When they denotate a charge under the hood there's another explosion in the back. I also think that when the cannon is fired, the w124 explodes too soon.
Why does everything always have to be larger than life?
Ximinez
And why must each and every car explode every time it's smashed up or tossed over the cliff? I know from the real-world experience, they don't always explode upon impact unless the extraordinary circumstances occur.
My sister-in-law's 1993 Toyota Corolla didn't explode when a new Cadillac Escalade smashed into its rear-end at 50mph...
My other peeve is seeing those new Mercedes-Benz skidding and sliding during the heavy braking even though they have ESP and ABS. Yeah, I know they look 'ooooh, wow, that was damn action shit...'! Oh, please!
The Spanish Inquisition wrote:

OM wrote:

I think they usually even explode while in mid air. Looks even cooler that way.

Lucky for her.
Ximinez

Yes, it's the law of movie physics: any car flying off a cliff MUST burst into flames the second it's airborne.
The corollary is any car that lands with a person still alive will burst into flames the second the person is JUST far away enough to be safe.
Now that I think of it, yes, you are right. Cannon impact also doesn't make car explode since the windows are already busted by the monster truck... They added some explosive there too.
Tiger wrote:

On the second shot there's about 3 seconds between the firing and the impact. On the third there's only a fraction of a second. I wonder if the cannon wasn't shooting blanks all the time and the 'impacts' weren't all more or less synchronized explosions.
It's not that safe to shoot cannons in 21st century west European countries ;)
Ximinez